Of course, the best way to calm a newborn baby is to feed him. But it’s important to understand that crying is the way a child communicates any of his problems, not just hunger. No mistakes can be made in the first two weeks - everything you do is right. Offer your baby a breast as often as you see fit.
Causes of Infant Crying
Often parents make the mistake of trying to calm the babies the same way each time. But first you need to understand what exactly the child needs at the moment.
If the baby is crying, how can I help him? Try to determine the nature of the crying and check to start:
- Wet diapers or a full diaper
The discomfort from this makes the baby toss and turn and grunt in a dream, and if it is also cold from sputum, he will wake up and will persistently call his parents. A characteristic sign - yawning, tossing and turning, whimpering.
- Irritated skin, diaper rash,
If the child has sensitive skin, and you do not use any means or often do not change the diaper for a long time, the ass and legs will be covered with red spots and will itch even in dry diapers.
Spread with a calming cream, for example, zinc paste, bepantene and be sure to arrange air baths for the baby.
For details on what to do with irritation on the skin of a baby, read the article Diaper rash in a newborn >>>
Breasts of the first months of life still do not know how to roll over themselves and can banally track the barrel. It makes sense every hour to turn the baby on the other side or on the tummy when he sleeps for a long time.
Get a special pillow with a hole in the middle for the head - so the baby will be more comfortable.
In addition, there may be other reasons. Strong crying in a baby: what to do, how to find out what he wants? Here is what could be causing:
Infants should eat as much as their body requires. You should not feed by the hour, waiting for the next scheduled feeding if the baby is torn from crying.
A hungry baby, if you take it in your hands, begins to look for a breast, smack, open your mouth.
You will find a lot of useful information on this subject in the article Feeding on demand >>>
- A lot of air in the stomach
This can be caused by improper grip on the breast or slipping on the nipple during feeding.
If you feel that the baby is not sucking well and has small weight gain, then you need to correct the attachment.
Due to poor grip, the child swallows air and a bursting sensation, similar to heartburn, makes him cry and be capricious.
To solve your problems with breastfeeding, see the online course Secrets of Breastfeeding >>>
They usually begin at the age of 2 weeks and end by 3 months. Most often manifested by a long and piercing scream. The kid does not calm down and continues to cry bitterly.
Helping the child carry on hands, soft swaying movements, the warmth of my mother’s abdomen.
What else can you help your baby with stomach pains, see the Soft Tummy online course: how to protect your child from colic and gas pains >>>
A pen went numb, a mosquito bit, temperature rises, teeth are cut - all this will lead to discomfort and the child will signal you crying about it.
By the way, while your baby is still small, study the article on when the teeth appear and how to alleviate the condition of the baby with pain in the gums: Teething in children >>>.
The child at the same time pulls the legs to the stomach, as with colic, but also pushes.
It is worth remembering that constipation is a solid feces. If the child is prophylactic and at the same time his feces are light yellow, liquid - then this is not constipation and the baby does not need any interventions in the form of candles, soap and other terrible procedures.
He remained alone for a long time, had a bad dream, was scared by a loud sharp sound. Try to be near the child during his sleep to meet the baby, as soon as he opens his eyes and does not give cause for alarm.
If the child does not sleep well, falls asleep with crying and does not let you go while you sleep, see the online seminar Calm sleep of the baby from 0 to 6 months >>>
Yes, and it happens - he wants to sleep, but he himself cannot fall asleep. I need a mom, I’m stopping myself with pens, I'm tired, I need to calm down. Well, how can you handle it yourself?
Check your body temperature by touch and change if necessary. On this issue there is an article on the site: Temperature in the room for the newborn >>>
Only after finding the right reason at the moment, you can understand how to calm the newborn if he cries.
How to calm a baby when he cries?
Infants quickly calm down, being in a swaddled state. The tight space creates a sense of life in the uterus and the babies are silent.
Yes, it’s a little paradoxical, but if the baby is crying swaddled, it’s best to give him freedom for a while, bounce his arms and legs, and stretch his arms.
Changing the sensations of the body helps to distract from the scream and interestedly examine everything around.
- Swinging smoothly on mom’s hands
Just note that it is smooth! You should never jerk a baby sharply. He has very weak cervical vertebrae, easily damaged by rough swing.
- Turn on the hair dryer or bath water,
This sound is called "white noise." A measured humming dips the child with memories into the fetal life and he calms down. To understand this topic, read the article White noise for a newborn >>>
When there is absolutely no strength to pump the baby, put it on your stomach to your stomach. He will be warm and calm, his tummy will calm down, he will sleep longer and stronger.
- Give the baby a gentle massage, pat on the head, knead the arms and legs,
Perhaps he has an increased muscle tone and you relax and calm him with these actions. To understand the tone of the baby, read the article Hypertonicity in the newborn >>>
- Turn on the music - children's or other, but not aggressive.
And most importantly, in any situation, keep external and internal calm - the child will feel this and will be calmer himself!
Food is not the only way to calm a newborn.
Starting from the 3rd week, try to calm the baby not just food. If the baby is gaining weight well, if after feeding it falls asleep satisfied, but after half an hour wakes up with crying, it is unlikely that he is hungry again. A breast or a bottle for any reason can subsequently lead to the fact that the child:
- falls asleep only with a breast or a bottle in the mouth.
— Eats a little all day, and tend to do the same thing at night, respectively, he wakes up more often.
— Eats often and little by little, which means that it doesn’t get to more fat and nutritious “back” milk, which contributes to the sleepy state of the child. “Back milk” also balances carbohydrates (which “front” milk is rich in), which means it reduces the likelihood of gases and colic, which also has a positive effect on restful sleep.
If after the previous feeding very little time has passed and the baby is not happy, do not rush to feed again: check the diaper, make sure that the child is not cold and not hot, remember when he was sleeping - maybe he has been awake for more than 2 hours?
Ways to calm a newborn.
Try one way to calm your baby:
1. Swing in a stroller or crib, walk around with a baby in her arms. Newborn babies still remember the sensations that they experienced in the womb when mom moved. Swing for babies is familiar, and therefore soothing. But you should not rock the baby too intensely. In this case, too much stimulation of the vestibular apparatus occurs, and the brain simply disables the response to external stimuli. At this moment, the child goes into a stressful sleep, which allows him to protect his delicate nervous system, but does not bring proper rest and recovery, which is so necessary for the children's body.
2. Turn on calming music for newborns, “white noise”. Or just open the water in the bathroom and bring the child closer to the stream of water. Monotonous, quiet, slow sounds are very effective and help quickly calm a newborn.
3. Chuck, sing softly
4. Do a light massage with your fingertips, stroke the baby
5. Swaddle - many children at this age feel more comfortable and calmer. This gives the child a feeling of slight squeezing - the same as they experienced while in the stomach and soothes the child before bedtime. Choose clothes and a diaper based on the fact that it is important not to overheat the baby. By the way, some children do not like swaddling from birth. And do not insist.
6. If the child is older than 6 weeks and there are no problems with lactation, offer your baby a pacifier. Opinions and recommendations regarding the use of nipples are constantly changing based on more and more research. But, in particular, there is an opinion that the nipple not only satisfies the instinct of sucking the baby, but also reduces the risk of sudden infant mortality in the first 6 months.
7. Combine the ways. Swaddle your baby, turn on white noise, dim the lights and shake the baby on hands. Several ways together will help calm a newborn baby more effectively than just one.
8. If nothing works, feed again (if the baby made a couple of sucking movements and calmed down, then he was still not hungry, and just calmed by breast or a bottle)
If nothing helps calm the baby down
In a situation, if within 10 minutes one way to calm a newborn baby does not work, try another. If you have "reached the boiling point," let someone else continue to calm the child - dad or grandmother. If you are alone at home and the baby continues to cry, put the baby in the crib and give yourself 2-3 minutes to catch your breath. Remember that the emotional state of the mother is perfectly read by the baby.
A child has the right to cry when he is sad, when he is tired, offended, or just like that
Before talking about how to deal with moods and tantrums, I want to remind you the main thing: a child has the right to cry when he is sad, when he is tired, offended, or just like that. These tears are important and necessary, so in most cases it is worth giving the baby a cry.
Nevertheless, sometimes it is important for adults that the child does not cry. Although it’s almost impossible to stop a tantrum, you can prevent it from starting. How to do it:
- Remind you of an important matter for which you need to postpone crying. (“Let’s you cry later, or soon the sun will sit down, and if you cry for a long time, we won’t have time to take a walk.”) It’s important that you don’t take away the baby’s right to tears, just ask to wait a bit. And many children agree to such a concession.
- Conscious crying. Ask the child to cry in a low voice (for example, so that he doesn’t wake his dad) or cry in a low voice (so that his mother doesn’t get a headache). If he obeys, real crying will not work. Rather, it will be vocal exercises that stop quickly.
- Missed whim. Unnoticed, unsupported by someone else's attention, a bad mood can by itself pass. But remember that it is easy to make a mistake and show indifference where care and participation are needed. Help your child jump over the whim. For example, a baby protests against dressing, and you ask him: “And what do you think, have leaflets already appeared on our birch? Let's go see ”
- Try to rush the child with the fervent “fast-fast” so that he does not have time to come up with an objection. Although this only works with babies. Older children will have time to figure out what's what.
- 3 tricks. It works mainly with babies, but regardless of the condition of the child. It requires a lot of energy. The essence of the method is to speak, speak, speak. And then the one who is about to cry the baby will listen and forget about the crying, and the toddler who dangles with his feet and does not want to dress will freeze for a few seconds. Well, it’s possible to feed porridge in this way, and indeed to achieve the necessary passive (not requiring the child’s own actions) behavior. It's just that it is almost impossible to withstand such a colloquial load for a long time (but it is advisable not to grind nonsense, but to communicate something smart, useful, developing).
- Calming a capricious child can be translated into tickling or something funny. Not suitable for hysteria.
- Try to distract the baby. About “Look, the bird flew” know all mothers and, especially, grandmothers. It’s possible in another way: “Oh, what is it with you, an eyelash in your eye, wait now, I’ll pull it out, otherwise it prevents me from crying.”
- An adult and wiser child can be distracted not by a mythical flying bird, but by a completely material surprise. So, tell a crying child who is on the verge of hysteria: “And whoever is rustling in the kitchen, it seems to me like a mouse or a hedgehog, I'll go and see. »It is important to come to the kitchen first and leave a cardboard mouse or cork hedgehog on the table.
- Sometimes it’s enough to voice the child how he feels that the reason for crying disappears. For example, say: “You were upset that we could not go for a walk,” and the baby will understand that you are not indifferent to his misfortune.
- Offer your child an object for emotion. It can be a sofa cushion, a hammer and a board or ball, which will help to find a way out of negative energy.
- Come up with a funny ritual. For example, as soon as the baby is about to cry, turn on the hair dryer to dry his tears. Or a vacuum cleaner to clean the child from vagaries. Do not use the proposed solutions if the child is afraid of the sounds of household appliances.
- You can react like this to a capricious and unhappy face: “Oh, some kind of monster came scary. Monster, go away! Where is my glorious baby, when will he be back? ”But it’s worth remembering that always, when you count on a sense of humor, you need to be very sensitive to the state and mood of the child.
- I recommend using this console for children older than 3-4 years. Start repeating to the unfortunate child complaining about life: “Poor you, unfortunate, you don’t have a single toy, nobody gives you anything sweet and they don’t feed you at all. You don’t go for a walk, you sit at home all the time. "
- Pills from a bad mood (or vitamins of laughter, if you do not like the word “pills”) teach an older child to control their emotions. As such tablets, use something tasty, loved by the child, but otherwise inaccessible - marmalade, dragees, raisins in chocolate. The child is naughty - offer him such a medicine. It is important that the baby knows - if the medicine does not work, they will not offer it anymore.
- Sometimes it’s enough to hug the child tightly, kiss, say how you love him. Love even this - with a tearful face, squishy nose, scandalous and aching. Nothing so quickly and reliably dries out children's tears as the warmth of sight and the kindness of the heart.
And remember - someday you will happen to cry. And because of what you do today, it depends, brush aside, your older child will pass by or show participation, help, regret it.