If ants are taken into the pet food, the animal may refuse to eat. Find out how you can solve this problem and what precautions you need to take.
The word "pets" means all the animals that you keep at home: birds, cats, dogs, exotic animals.
Your goal is to create a barrier for ants that can spoil the food, as a result of which your pets will refuse to eat.
Ants are insects belonging to the family Formicidae. They can be found almost all over the world, some are protected, for example, meadow ant (Formica pratensis) is listed in the Red Book, found in forests, is a useful insect. Other species can cause real damage to our gardens. The following species are found in the immediate environment of a person:
- black garden ant (Lasius niger),
- yellow earth (garden) (Lasius flavus),
- turf (Tetramorium caespitum),
- red or red myrmica (Myrmica rubra).
What harm does an insect do?
- Ants can damage young growths of ornamental plants and flower buds that contain nectar.
- Some fruits (e.g. apricots) are damaged.
- Some species nest in the trunks or bark of trees, which negatively affects trees, weakens them.
- They can destroy decorative flower beds, gardens and lawns - when digging underground corridors, damaging the roots, rhizomes, tubers of plants. Corridors, tunnels additionally dry the soil.
- Insects, protecting the anthill, become very aggressive - their bites hurt, cause erythema on the skin, sometimes allergic reactions. When insects bite, they inject into the body a poison containing formic acid.
- The ants really like the sweet taste, and the remaining food left on the veranda or terrace is a real treat for them. Sometimes, in search of food, insects move to houses, apartments.
- Ants feed on sweet aphid secretions, which can cause real damage to plants. They protect aphids from natural enemies (ladybugs). Some species create their own aphid colonies - aphid larvae are transported deep into the anthill for the winter, and in the spring, adult insects are again taken outside, where they can feed on plants and supply the ants with the dew they need.
How are ants useful?
These insects do not only harm, but also benefit:
- Thanks to them, it is easy to find aphid colonies that feed on plants. Near ants roaming the plants you can see small, often green aphids, hidden among the leaves. Aphids are a real pest, and the sooner you begin to fight it, the better for the garden.
- These are our allies in the fight against pests that destroy plants in gardens - ants feed on larvae (for example, flies).
- These insects act as reducing agents: they feed on carrion, dead insects, small rodents or amphibians, eat organic and plant debris, due to which they cleanse their immediate environment, which we also use.
- To some extent, ants can contribute to improving the soil structure in gardens. When they build anthills and drill corridors in the ground, the soil is aerated.
- Insect litter contains fertilizing elements (nitrogen, phosphorus) that improve soil quality.
Before resorting to toxic chemicals, it is worth trying to scare off or find out how you can get rid of folk remedies, in natural ways. The easiest way is mechanical removal of the pest, for this the anthills are dug up and carried off the site. However, this will not help get rid of all the pests, it will only reduce their numbers.
Dough baking powder or baking soda
This is the easiest and most affordable way to get rid of ants, because there is soda in every house. Baking powder or quick baking soda scatters in places visited by pests. Soda is safe for humans and pets, so it is most often used for these purposes.
Salt and baking soda can be used to spray paths, but these substances can have an adverse effect on plants (especially salt).
Mustard, Cinnamon, Tobacco
Tobacco, which can be bought at a tobacco shop or obtained from cigarettes, will help in the fight against pest. A similar effect has a dry powder of mustard, cinnamon. Tobacco, cinnamon or mustard is sprinkled with places of accumulation of pests, the ground around the trunks of apricot and other trees and shrubs, loved by the pest.
Ant repellent plants
To pests left the garden, it is worth planting plants that can not tolerate these insects around the anthill and on the path of their migration. Ants do not like the following plants:
Also, these insects do not like the smell of tomato leaves. You can rub a little in your hand the tomato leaves obtained during pinching before distributing them in the places of the most frequent walks of unwanted guests so that the aroma is stronger. These pests also do not like the smell of lemon peel, walnut, elderberry, pepper.
Sometimes you have to use chemicals, but only when natural methods fail. To combat insects, they use funds in different forms: granules, aerosol or food poison.
Spray drugs primarily affect working insects, this procedure will not destroy the entire nest, but only reduce the number of pests. It is better to use spraying when there are few pests. Aerosol preparations are used to control insects that are in motion. This is the fastest way, acting directly on moving ants.
Another element of pest control is the use of food poison, which is characterized by slow insecticidal activity. These agents contain poisons for contact and the stomach, but have an attractive smell and taste for ants. Working insects spread it inside the nest, feed the larvae and the "queen" laying eggs, this will destroy the nest.
Poisons penetrating insect nests. Recommended preparations - Muratox, Anteater.
Other drugs contain hormones (methoprene, pyriproxyphene) that cause infertility in ants. Such agents (Farorid, Bioprene, Lafarex) act more slowly than contact drugs, but after a while they cause the death of the colonies.
To get rid of ants, you need to destroy aphids by applying a chemical spray with a suitable preparation. The aphid gives the ants sweet honey dew, and when we deprive them of a source of food, the ants may themselves leave the garden.
Below are considered in detail the most effective chemicals from ants in the garden and greenhouse.
Contact insecticide. Causes paralysis in insects, and then death. Available in the form of a liquid packaged in 1 ml ampoule. Anteater can be used to get rid of red garden ants and blacks. The period of protective action lasts for 3 weeks.
An effective remedy for garden ants of various types. The main active ingredient is diazonin. Available in the form of bait completely ready for use. It can be used on all types of vegetable and ornamental crops. Subject to the conditions of use, Muravyin is completely safe for humans and warm-blooded animals.
Organophosphorus insecticide. It can be used to kill a range of pests, including all types of ants. Karbofos is available in powder form. Before use, it must be diluted with water. The exact dosage is indicated on the back of the package.
Available in the form of an insecticidal gel packaged in syringes. The drug can be used to process greenhouses. The main advantages of Taracide:
- high efficiency,
- easy application in hard to reach places.
After use, insects begin to die within 3 hours, the period of protective action lasts for a month.
Under this brand, various insecticides are released.
A potent insecticide in powder form. Used to destroy:
The period of protective action lasts for a month. Subject to the conditions of use, Clean House is not harmful to humans and pets. To destroy ants, the powder is applied to the places of their accumulation and movement. The average consumption rate is about 5 grams per 1 square meter.
Under the brand name Clean House, traps are also produced. The bait in them is located inside a plastic container, which is much better than if it was available for pets. To destroy ants, a trap is placed on ant paths. Insects, getting inside, eat the bait, and then die within 2-3 days. The period of protective action of the traps is 2 months.
Thiamethoxam based insecticide. It can be issued in the form of:
Fas is effective against all types of ants, bugs, cockroaches. To destroy pests, a thin layer of powder is applied to the places of accumulation and movement of pests.
Attention! Fas is toxic. When working with the drug, gloves and a respirator must be used.
The average consumption rate of Fas powder is about 2 grams per 1 square meter.
Insecticide used to kill the following insects:
- all kinds of ants,
- basement mosquito larvae.
The main active ingredient is diazinon. Before use, a working solution is prepared on the basis of the concentrate. The exact dosage for dilution is indicated on the packaging or attached annotation. The solution sprayed the places of movement of ants, it is also used to water the anthill.
In addition to the above, based on Muratox, you can prepare bait. To do this, 1 tablespoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of sugar are dissolved in half a glass of water. To the resulting mixture add 1-2 ml of the drug. The bait is poured into small plastic containers, which are placed in the places of movement of the ants.
The brand produces a whole line of insecticidal agents with a wide spectrum of action in the form of:
Each remedy is effective against:
Dosages and methods of use are described in detail on the packages. When working with drugs, Dr. Klaus must observe safety measures and personal hygiene.
Active food bait in powder form. Allows you to quickly get rid of garden, house and forest ants in the country. The way you use Delica is extremely simple. Granules scatter in places of accumulation of insects. When used indoors for the convenience of subsequent cleaning, they can be placed on small substrates. When processing hard-to-reach spots on the basis of powder, a solution is prepared at the rate of 125 grams of the product per 6 liters of water. The resulting mixture is sprayed with an anthill, insect-infected structures, fruit tree trunks.
One of the cheapest and most affordable means. Available in the form of chalk or pencil. The drug has a contact effect. Running along the drawn lines, insects inhale insecticide particles and die. Part of the chalk Mashenka sticks to the paws and enters the anthill, which also contributes to the destruction.
Fipronil insecticide. Due to the good residual activity, the Raptor acts after 8 hours, retaining its properties for 5 weeks. For greater efficiency, an attractant that attracts ants is included in the composition of the drug. If necessary, the product can be used in dry and dissolved form.
Gel Brownie is used to destroy garden and domestic ants, cockroaches. For ease of use, the product is packaged in plastic syringe tubes. The main active ingredient is fipronil, which causes paralysis and death of insects. The preparation is applied easily, a small amount of the gel is squeezed out in drops in the form of dashed lines at the places of accumulation of insects.
If it is impossible to use chemicals to combat ants, you can use a special ultrasonic repeller. The principle of operation of the device is to generate high-frequency ultrasonic waves. The human ear does not perceive them, and for ants they are extremely unpleasant. The repeller does not kill insects, it only repels. Therefore, pests can move to the other end of the site, where they still have to be destroyed.
When using all types of drugs or folk remedies, you must always remember the safety rules:
- When carrying out treatments it is necessary to use protective gloves, if necessary - a respirator.
- During work, you can not eat food, drinks.
- Bait should be placed in places protected from children, pets.
- When preparing solutions, do not use dishes used for food purposes.
- All spraying and processing are carried out only in dry, calm weather.
- At the end of the work, hands should be washed thoroughly, clothes and shoes should be washed.
- You should always carefully read the labels and recommendations of the manufacturer, observe the specified waiting period, in which you should refrain from contact with the treated surface. After the use of insecticides, it is necessary to strictly observe the terms for entering manual work.
Compliance with the above rules will help to avoid poisoning and other unwanted side effects.
Attention! Any chemicals used in the garden can affect our immediate surroundings. Their use must be taken into account, especially when children and animals (dogs, cats) live in the house. Chemicals also affect crops (vegetables, fruits) and other insects (for example, beneficial pollinators - bees).
Ants are one of the most common garden pests. Without timely processing, their colonies quickly spread over the site, causing serious damage to various crops.