Hello dear reader. This article will discuss the methods of making cocktails. There are a great many of them, as each professional bartender develops his own individual technique over time, but all these methods can now be combined into 5 basic methods that include certain techniques:
- Frowling (Throwling)
Shake (Shake) - the most famous and understandable method of the presented. Even a person who does not understand anything in bar business will understand what is at stake. Yes, of course, we are talking about a shaker. Everything is simple: with the Shake method, a cocktail is prepared using a special bar tool called a shaker. Use this method in cases where you need to mix difficult to mix ingredients, such as protein, mashed potatoes, syrup, liquor and so on. Also, using a similar method, the enrichment of the drink with oxygen is achieved. The Shake method includes two blending techniques: shaking and fine strain.
Fine Strain Technique
The essence of the “file strain” technique is the use of an additional sieve called the file strainer. Such a technique is used in cases when it is necessary to separate small parts of ice, fruits, herbs and so on from the drink, but other strainers cannot cope with this. Therefore, to make the cocktail “cleaner,” use this technique. As a rule, the file-strainer is used only after the “Shake” method, so this technique is located in this section. It is worth adding that usually using this technique they prepare cocktails that are served without ice.
The main essence of the "shaking" technique is not only cooling and thoroughly mixing the components, but also in diluting the cocktail. It is very important to dilute the drink correctly: if you use very little ice, it will quickly melt and dilute the cocktail much stronger, so it is customary to fill the shaker by 2/3 of the volume, and the ingredients are poured onto ice in a sequence from less strong to stronger.
Shake the shaker with the drink for no more than 20 seconds, moving the ice cubes from the bottom to the top of the shaker. The finished drink is filtered into a glass using another bar tool - strainer. When shaking, hold the shaker with both hands and do not direct either the guests or yours. It is important to remember that you should never shake fizzy drinks in a shaker.
It is worth noting that the “shake” method has its own varieties. To be precise, this long shake, hard shake, dry shake.
- Long shake - This is a method of a longer shaking of a cocktail. This method is most often used in cases where whole berries, fruits or herbs are present in the drink. Of these, juice and essential oils are not pre-squeezed. This allows you to get a more refined shade of the necessary ingredients in the taste and at the same time without losing in saturation.
- Dry shake (dry shake) - This is a method of whipping a cocktail without ice, it is most often used for whipping eggs (in particular protein) and fat cream. Its essence is that at room temperature to achieve the formation of a dense uniform structure in the drink. Thanks to the dry shake method, you can get a very rich and delicate cocktail. Often while whipping protein in a shaker, a spring is thrown from the hawthorn strainer to the drink, where it will act as a whisk. Even more often after applying the “dry” method of whipping, they begin normal shaking with ice in order to cool the cocktail.
- Hard shake - This is a very intensive cooking method compared to a regular neck. The time for whipping a cocktail is used almost the same, but the movements here are much more active and sharp. This method is best used when you have drier and colder ice. Paradoxically, the fact that ice from ordinary ice makers usually has a temperature just below zero. From this, it quickly melts and quickly dilutes the drink. And ice from the freezer will last longer. In general, using a similar method means "making the cocktail more saturated and more delicious."
Stir (Stir) - translated from English means “mix, mix” and in our opinion is the most elegant method of preparation. For this method, you need a mixing cup, which is pre-cooled. All easily mixed ingredients of the cocktail are poured into it, filled with ice for 2/3 of the volume and stirred with the help of a bar spoon, rotating ice cubes in a circle. The drink is then filtered into a cocktail glass using bar tools such as a hawthor-strainer or julep-strainer.
It is worth remembering that you should not overdo it with the time of mixing the cocktail with ice. The fact is that ice has its own specific temperature. And as soon as the drink reaches a temperature close to the temperature of the ice, the ice no longer begins to cool the cocktail, but simply melt and dilute it with water. This can all negatively affect the drink you are preparing.
A rather interesting technique, which involves layering ingredients of different densities on top of each other, without mixing the layers together (previously this technique was called “Pousse-cafe”). To be able to prepare cocktails using this technique, you need to know the density of drinks, the ability to use a bar spoon and practice, practice, practice.
Blend (Blend) - as you probably already guessed - this is a method of preparing a cocktail in a blender. This is a tool that can grind large pieces of almost any product that you need to make a drink. Basically this mixing method is needed for tropical smoothies with fruits that need to be chopped, smoothies or for milkshakes.
5. Frowling (Throwling)
From English it is translated as "throw". This is a special mixing method, which involves pouring a drink from one container with ice to another without ice. The essence of the method consists in repeated transfusion at a distance of outstretched hands, saturating with oxygen a cocktail (aeration) with a minimal touch of ice with the contents. Thus, the drink acquires a richer and more saturated taste.
This technique allows you to make a cocktail in almost the same way as by frowling, but there are still differences. The first is the lack of ice in the mixing tanks, and the second is the shorter distance of the liquid transfusion. This method allows you to get the output of a more alcoholic and less oxygen-enriched cocktail than in the case of Frawling. But at the same time its taste will be better emphasized.
So we got acquainted with the five main methods of making cocktails by their techniques. Here is the most basic knowledge about the methods that open the way to a thorough study of this topic.
Ways to mix cocktail ingredients
Build (build). The easiest method: a cocktail is created directly in a glass, glass or glass. Ingredients can be infused simultaneously or in turn, depending on the recipe. The method is divided into two subtypes:
- Building (building, English "construction"). The ingredients are poured in turn, the sequence is determined by the recipe. The most famous examples are Bloody Mary, Screwdriver. Most often, such cocktails are mixed in high glasses of the highball type and served with a swizzle stick, which can mix all the components of the drink, like sugar in tea.
Layering (leering, from the English layer - layer). So you get famous layered cocktails, first of all, of course, shooters. The ingredients are neatly laid in layers, from the densest to the lightest. The base layer is usually formed by liquors, followed by strong alcohol and / or juices. There are exceptions: for example, a sambuca is first poured into a Hiroshima cocktail, and only then Bailey's is how Irish Cream trickles through transparent alcohol and creates a miniature illusion of a nuclear mushroom. Other classic representatives of the style - B-52, "Green Mexican."
Stir (Stir, English "mix"). The components are alternately poured into the mixing cup filled with ice according to the principle of increasing degree. Everything is gently mixed with a bar spoon and poured into a glass for serving through a strainer strainer so that the ice remains in a glass. The result is a chilled cocktail without adding ice cubes to it (minus the ice in that it melts, changing the taste and lowering the strength of the drink). An example of a cocktail prepared using this method is Dry Martini.
Shake (shake, English "shake"). This method of preparing cocktails is necessary for mixing components of different densities. First, fill the shaker with ice by ¾, then add the ingredients of the cocktail, close it and shake the vessel well for 20-30 seconds, making sure that the liquid shakes properly. Finally, the finished drink is poured into a glass, while filtering from particles of ice and fruit pulp using a strainer. So they prepare a lot of famous cocktails: “Whiskey Sauer”, “Cosmopolitan”, “Margarita”, “Tom Collins”, etc.
Obviously, drinks that contain soda (soda, lemonade, champagne, etc.) cannot be mixed in the shaker - from active shaking, the liquid will foaming first (having doused the bartender with a fountain as soon as he opens the vessel), and then will be exhaled.
Blend (blend). Usually, fruit smoothies or baby food are prepared in this way, but it’s worth adding a little bit of alcohol to the ice crumbs with fruit puree, and you get a refreshing cocktail.
In a blender, first grind the solid or viscous ingredients of the drink (fruits, vegetables, ice cubes, frozen berries, ice cream, etc.), then add juices, syrups and alcohol to them in any order. The blend is suitable for Pina Colada, Strawberry Daiquiri, Banana Margarita, Bahama Mom and others.
To prepare a fruit or vegetable neck you need:
- Fresh fruits or vegetables. Any that you like, but certainly not cucumbers, will do. For one serving, you do not need a lot (see the photo), but the more of them, the shake will be tastier.
- Sweet fruit syrup. This is exactly what makes the shake sweet and tasty. Without syrup, only with fresh fruit, the shake will turn out not as sweet as grass. In principle, any syrup is suitable, but if you want to make a pure pineapple shake, for example, you need pineapple and pineapple syrup, otherwise you will get a mix shake. How much syrup to add, you will have to determine empirically to your taste, I add about 40 milliliters per serving as in the photo, but if it seems to you a little, you can taste it and add it already in the cooking process.
- Condensed milk. It is not necessary to add it, but sometimes, to sweeten the shake, add a couple of spoons.
- Ice. Ice, this is the most important component of the neck, and it needs a lot (see photo). It is due to ice that the shake acquires a thick consistency, like a soft ice cream.
- And the most important tool, a powerful blender. A simple mixer with whisks will not work here. What is needed is a blender that can crush pieces of ice into powder, and at the same time, which itself does not break into pieces. Thais use blenders with a bowl for this, but I completely manage with a hand blender as in the photo.
The process of making a fruit neck is extremely simple, but requires some patience and dexterity. Pour fruit and syrup into a blender bowl, add condensed milk to taste, fill in ice, and turn on the blender. If you use submersible, then you will have to suffer a little to carefully beat all the ice and not to break your blender. In the process of grinding, the moment will come when the whole mass will become homogeneous and similar to soft ice cream. On this, in fact, the cooking process is over.
You can enjoy the ice drink!
🕒 October 12, 2018
- ❤ Join our group in VK, Facebook, OK, or subscribe to the Telegram channel
- ☻ Find and book online tours on Onlinetours.ru or Travelata.ru
- ✈ Buy airline tickets on a proven search engine - Aviasales.ru
- 🏨 Book a hotel among more than 1,000,000 offers on Agoda.com or Booking.com
- ☂ Get insurance to be safe at Sravni.ru or Cherehapa.ru
- 🚗 Rent a car at Rentalcars.com or autoeurope.ru to be free in your plans
- ⛳ Order a transfer from the airport to the vacation spot at Kiwitaxi.ru
- ⛺ Check availability of excursions to get to know the most interesting places on tripster.ru
Best prices for flights to Thailand:
|CITY / DIRECTION||DEPARTURE DATE||RETURN DATE||FIND A TICKET|
|Bangkok||2019-10-19||2019-11-18||FIND FROM 23 681 ₽|
|Phuket||2019-09-02||2019-09-22||FIND FROM 24 851 ₽|
|Samui||2019-12-02||2019-12-27||FIND FROM 26 746 ₽|
|Krabi||2019-12-07||2019-12-13||FIND FROM 28 135 ₽|
|Chiang mai||2019-12-07||2019-12-11||FIND FROM 29 983 ₽|
|Chiang rai||2019-09-21||2019-09-29||FIND FROM 37 942 ₽|
Track low prices and our news in VK, Facebook, OK groups, and in the Telegram channel
The following actions are not independent ways of mixing cocktails - rather, this is an additional touch that you can do without.
Muddling (maddling, from the English. muddle - "crush"). The mint leaves, fruit and vegetable slices included in the cocktail are kneading in a glass with a special pestle spoon. It is used in such cocktails as “Mojito”, “Caipirnja”.
Flaming (Fleming, English. "burning"). The pinnacle of the bartender’s master, a method in which an alcoholic beverage is set on fire to impress, enhance flavor or bring background flavors to the fore.
Most often they set fire to shots, while the strength of the top layer should be at least 40%, otherwise it will not light up. Alcohol-containing drinks should not be added to a burning cocktail, it is also necessary to extinguish before drinking. Representatives of the style: "Pumpkin Pie" sambuca with coffee beans, "back draft", etc.