Our experienced team of editors and researchers contributed to this article and tested it for accuracy and completeness.
The number of sources used in this article is 22. You will find a list of them at the bottom of the page.
The wikiHow content management team carefully monitors the work of editors to ensure that each article meets our high quality standards.
Mosquito nets are exposed to wind, water, dust, dirt, insects and much more, as a result of which they are quickly polluted. Learn to wash the nets correctly so that they look good and last longer. It is quite simple and does not require long preparations or special means.
How to clean mosquito nets
Mosquito nets are simply fantastic: they help us keep mosquitoes and flies away from home, but they also have a downside, they accumulate a lot of dust between the nets of the fabric and on the tracks. That's why today we will explain how to clean flies screens, fixed or pleated.
By the way, when acquiring a protective grid on windows, pay attention to whether the structure makes it easy to remove and insert it back.
One must be very careful not to damage them. How to clean mosquito nets without destroying them? Of course, do not use a vacuum cleaner! The vacuum cleaner can be used to clean mosquito nets only if it is equipped with power control. The vacuum cleaner should be used with a textile nozzle and, above all, at minimum power.
Lay the net on a towel and gently vacuum the net to remove loose debris, such as cobwebs, dust and pollen. Turn the screen over and clean the other side in the same way.
Very useful for cleaning windows, doors and balconies, this is steam. The power of the device must also be dosed here. When using a vacuum cleaner or steam cleaner, always clean from top to bottom. It is important to use fabric nozzles because a classic vacuum cleaner nozzle can damage the mesh.
My mosquito net dish detergent
No need to look for a special detergent in stores, this venture is unlikely to succeed. Also, do not use a spray for glasses: it evaporates too quickly, no dirt will have time to become sap. A dishwashing detergent is one of the best options that can not resist either grease, dust, or old dirt.
Some people at home practice washing the mosquito net right on the window, but this is not the best way. When rinsing, a huge amount of dirty water drains. With this approach, spots on the slopes, window sills, wallpaper can not be avoided. To remove the mesh is simple: just lift it up so that the frame comes out of the sinus, then pull it towards you. Even the most fragile housewife will cope with this.
What do you need:
- soft brush
- 2 tbsp. l dishware,
- 1 liter of water for solution
- towel or rag.
- We dilute the dishwashing liquid in warm water, slightly whisk the solution until a foam forms.
- We send the grid to the bath or shower, set it vertically with a slight slope. In the summer, you can use a large basin on the street. To fix the position, lay a rag or towel on the bottom.
- Brush the foam solution. Leave for 10-15 minutes - let the soaks soak. Then we walk slightly along the surface, without pressure.
- Now we take a shower watering can or just a bucket of water, wash off the soap solution. Under strong pressure, this cannot be done without a spray gun.
No need to rush to return the mosquito net to its place, let it dry completely. Otherwise, dust, fluff and pollen of plants, small specks will quickly stick to the wet surface.
How to clean pleated mosquito nets
What about pleated mosquito nets? They are undoubtedly the most difficult to clean. The fabric of the mosquito net, in fact, consists of many folds that make it even more delicate and prone to damage. In order not to damage them, you need to have a little patience.
For cleaning, select the day when all morning will be free for you: rush can become your enemy. To clean pleated nets, it is necessary to create a supporting surface with cardboard that will be inserted into the rails to facilitate cleaning operations. So even pleated nets can be cleaned with a soft brush or vacuum cleaner.
Cleaning mosquito nets with compressed air
There is another cleaning strategy against mosquito nets, whether folded or standard mosquito nets. We are talking about compressed air.
A compressed air cylinder, if used properly, may be sufficient to remove dust from the entire door screen or for two window screens (smaller).
Just direct a stream of air on the surface to be cleaned, stopping in places where more dust accumulates. If you damage the screen of the mosquito net during the cleaning phase, be aware that it can be replaced or repaired.
How to wash a mosquito net
- If there are no corrosive spots, do not use ammonia and bleach, as many do. An explosive mixture of chemistry can create very toxic (and even deadly) fumes.
- When dousing the net with water from the shower and, especially, the garden hose, avoid strong pressure. So you can stretch or, worse, tear a mosquito.
It is recommended to wash the mosquito net at least 2 times during operation. But no one bothers you to do this more often - as the canvas and window frame become dirty.
- When treating the web with soapy water, do not rub it hard and do not push in order not to squeeze out the sealant, stretch or break the net.
- Do not use hard brushes - you can damage the canvas by tearing the cells.
- As a “more foamy” alternative to a soap solution, you can use any liquid detergent (not abrasive!).
How to quickly clean a mosquito net
- To get started, remove the grid from the window.
- The mosquito net must be washed in the bath, directing water from the shower at an angle of 30-45 degrees. When dousing the mesh with shower water, avoid strong pressure so as not to damage the canvas.
- Soap a sponge and clean the canvas and frame from settled dirt. Perform this operation on both sides. Instead of soap, you can use any non-aggressive liquid detergent.
- Rinse the mesh with running water, taking into account the recommendations from paragraph 2.
- Leave the net upright to dry.
Cleaning the frame and tracks
If the vacuum cleaner is equipped with special nozzles, you can reach even the most hidden areas. In fact, to clean mosquito nets it is not enough to clean the fabric of the net: the frames, supports and rails must be properly cleaned.
Another tip for the care of mosquito nets - for the winter, remove them from the windows, store in an apartment in an upright position.
On video: another very simple and effective way to clean a mosquito net.
This site is already read by more than 950 people!
You can also receive new materials by mail:
Notify me of new comments for this article.
Why, how often and how to wash a mosquito net
In fact, the question of how to care for a mosquito net is less popular than, for example, which net to choose, where to buy it and how to seal a hole in it. However, timely care of mosquito nets, in particular washing, avoids many global problems associated with the repair of mosquitoes and entailing financial costs.
Mosquito nets are washed in order to:
• clean the canvas from settled dust, dirt and pollen, excluding their further entry into the room
• remove all insects stuck in the cells and other debris (such as leaf debris), attractive to birds
• return to the grid its anti-allergenic properties and aesthetic appeal
• prepare for storage in the autumn-winter period or for operation after long storage
It is recommended to wash the mosquito net at least 2 times during operation. But no one bothers you to do this more often - as the canvas and window frame become dirty. If you can wash a mosquito once a season in a city where there is only “your own” clean air and passing cars, then in a metropolis, especially in houses located close to busy roads, you need to wash the net, and with it the plastic windows, once in Week.
When answering the question of how to wash a mosquito net, we recommend using an ordinary brush (or a sponge for washing dishes) and soap foam.
1. First, remove the structure from the window. Washing the screen without removing it from the window is not only a dirty activity, but also an ungrateful one: you can damage the grid
2. If you live in your own house with a house adjoining territory, spread tarpaulin / polyethylene on the grass and put a mosquito on it. Flush the net with water pressure from the hose, “knocking out” insect cells and large debris from the cells.
If you live in an apartment, you can wash the net in the bath, after filling it with warm water. You do not have to fill it, having doused the grid with pressure from the shower.
3. Lather the sponge / brush and clean the canvas and frame from settled dirt. Perform this operation on both sides.
4. Rinse the net with running water (hose or shower)
5. Place the net vertically, letting it dry
Tips for cleaning your mosquito net
1. If there are no corrosive spots, do not use ammonia and bleach, as many do. An explosive chemical mixture can create very toxic (and even deadly) fumes
2. When dousing the net with water from the shower and, especially, the garden hose, avoid strong pressure. So you can stretch or, worse, tear a mosquito
3. When treating the web with soapy water, do not rub it hard and do not press down so as not to squeeze out the seal, stretch or break the net
4. Do not use hard brushes - you can damage the canvas by tearing the cells
5. As a “more foamy” alternative to a soap solution, you can use any liquid detergent (not abrasive!)
For those who are better off seeing once, we have prepared a video on how to wash a mosquito net.
Errors when washing mosquito nets
If you wash the mosquito net incorrectly, then it will quickly deteriorate, after 3-4 years you will need to look for a replacement. With a competent approach, this will not take 8-10 years.
What can not be done?
- Use aggressive detergents. No, the grid will not burn, will not melt, but the special coating will be damaged. It protects the material of the cells from the scorching sun, low temperatures and other destructive factors.
- Apply food vinegar. It acts as a solvent - it will also damage the protective layer of the mosquito net.
- Use sponges, cloths, napkins for washing. Small fibers will clog the cells, prevent air from entering the apartment, and collect even more dust.
- Use hard brushes. We will take care of the coating again, do not peel it off.
- Spray the mesh from a hose or shower head at a right angle: this stretches the material. It is more reasonable to place the jet on top at an inclination of 30–45 °.
Do not forget to work carefully. The nets are not deeply fixed in the grooves of the frame, even if accidentally pressed, they can pop out. Paste yourself is unlikely to succeed. Also, excessive pressure often leads to stretching of the material, tubercles and folds appear. It looks ugly, attracts excessive attention, and affects air circulation.
So, you can wash the mosquito net in 10 minutes. Do not postpone this lesson - just use water and one of the simplest cleaning solutions correctly.