The need to get a digital copy of your photos or text can arise at any time, so it will be useful to know how to scan documents from a printer to a computer. It is worthwhile to understand what is meant by the MFP - a multifunctional device that has a built-in scanner, copier and printer. At the moment, there are many manufacturers of office equipment for the home and office on the market, for example, HP, Epson, Canon, Brother, Kyocera, etc.
How to scan texts from a printer to a computer
There are two main options for how to scan a document to a computer - as an image or text. By default, the scanner works like this: creates a photo, if you put a sheet of text in the copier, then you cannot edit it in the future. For such a function to appear, it is necessary to use a recognizer (special software), which will turn the picture into an editable format.
How to scan a document using the Scanner Wizard
The field of how you connected the universal printer to the computer, installed the drivers, carried out the initial setup for scanning, you can use the built-in Windows functionality. The “Scanner Wizard” is suitable for this, the execution algorithm is as follows:
- Turn on the scanner, lift the cover. Check that the glass is clean; if dust is present, wipe the surface.
- Lay the text or photo with the surface to be scanned down on the glass.
- Close the cover.
- Go to the “Control Panel”, click on “Hardware and Sound”.
- Find the item "Devices and Printers", go into it.
- Right-click on the icon with your MFP, select "Start Scan".
- Set the necessary parameters for the scan and click "Preview".
- A window will appear with a picture of how your scanned text will look if it turned out to be too dull, or vice versa, you can change the settings and click “Preview” again. If everything suits you, click "Scan."
- Save the result on your computer or send the file to print.
Before proceeding with the direct scanning of documents, it is necessary to carry out preparatory actions - this will help to avoid difficulties and errors on the part of the equipment.
So, before you try to scan a document, it is important:
- Make sure that your device is “endowed” with the necessary function. The modern office equipment market is oversaturated with multifunctional devices, but there are also models with which it is impossible to make a scan. Find the device passport and read the instructions for use.
- Take care to connect the device correctly. Modern technology allows you to perform manipulations, "connecting" with a personal computer using wireless communication. However, not all PCs and MFPs support this interaction format. As a rule, when buying a scanner / printer, there is already a USB cable in the box with the product - use the cable to connect the device to your computer.
- Make sure that your device is connected correctly by pressing the power button of the device. If the indicators do not respond to the power key, double-check that the equipment is connected correctly. Some devices require driver installation.
- After the paper is in the scanner, you need to tightly close its cover and press the button that starts the process.
Useful pay attention to the individual features of your scanner - next to the glass surface there should be a symbol that tells you how to place the document so that the image is not scanned upside down. Otherwise, you will have to figure out how to turn the screen on the computer, or get acquainted with all kinds of editor applications that allow you to manipulate graphic files.
Scanning documents to a computer using special software
Together with any MFP, there should be a disk with drivers and native software for this printer model. As a rule, the use of such programs provides the opportunity to achieve the most effective interaction with the device, to get the best quality. For example, how to scan on a canon printer using such software:
- After installing the device and software, open the list of programs.
- Find the application for your printer model, run it.
- Click Scan.
- The program will prompt you to select the type, format, color or black-and-white scan and resolution. If you set all the parameters correctly, the result will be better.
- Through the explorer, specify the path to save the final file. Name the document immediately so that it can be easier to find later. If desired, the storage location may be removable media.
- Preview the document to correct any deficiencies or immediately click the Scan button. Next, the MFP will recognize the data, after which you need to click "Save."
How to scan personal documents on a printer
Official documents must be of high quality so that all elements are clearly visible, readable. This applies to important information: birth certificates, passports, certificates and similar documentation. Most often they use ABBY FineReader for these purposes, but any other software with similar functionality may be suitable. Instructions on how to scan a document to a computer from a printer using an example passport:
- Be sure to remove the cover, it will interfere during the procedure.
- In the settings, set the following parameters: "shades of gray", resolution - 300 dpi (or dpi).
- Expand the passport on the first page, put a glass spread to the glass. Better to put closer to the edge, leaving a small gap.
- Close the device cover tightly; for more detailed copying, you can press it slightly with your hand.
- Click "Preview", make sure that the color, detail of the letters is transmitted correctly.
- At the bottom, click "Scan", wait for the machine to finish recognizing the file. After that, check the picture and click "Save."
- Using the frame, select the area with the image (passport itself), the empty fields should be outside its boundaries.
- To store official data, select the tif or bmp format.
Through the scanner wizard
The most common method of digitizing a “live” document is to interact with the scanner wizard, where in order to achieve the result, you must adhere to the following algorithm:
- Turn on your scanner and make sure it is active. Check the glass panel under the cover - it should not be dust, debris, streaks, etc.
- Take the document or photograph that you want to “transfer” to the computer, place the object face down to the glass. Lower the cover.
- Click on the “Start” button of your computer, find the tab “Control Panel”.
- Next - “Devices and Printers”.
- In certain operating systems, after opening the control panel, it may be necessary to click on the “Sound and equipment” section, and only after that we will be able to find the “Devices and Printers” we need.
- You will see a window where the devices connected to the PC are displayed. Find the printer by name and right-click on its image.
- Activate the “Start Scanning” command, you will see parameters that can be customized according to individual preferences, and then - preview what the document will look like in the scan. Most often, you need to change the resolution and brightness of the image.
- Everything is fine? Click “Scan” and wait for your file to appear on the computer monitor. Then it remains only to save.
How to scan photos on a printer
Now more often people print digital photos from a computer, but sometimes there is a situation when you need to scan them. It is important to set up the MFP correctly so that the image is of high quality. The procedure for scanning a document to a computer from a printer is as follows:
- Connect the MFP to the computer, turn it on. To digitize photographs, you need to check that there are no spots, fluff or other dirt on them.
- The photo must be placed with the front part on the scanner glass.
- It is better to scan a photo using the program on a computer. This option will provide an opportunity to make adjustments during the preview.
- In the application, specify the type of scan (black and white, color) and set the format to “Photo”.
- Set the maximum resolution. So you can scan the photo in the best quality.
- If you want to copy the file well, then do not make changes to the settings during the process or lift the lid.
- After the procedure, save the file in any place convenient for you on your computer.
- Use the image editor to adjust the image. It will provide more features than a scanner program.
Using third-party applications
In addition to the standard features of the computer operating system, scanner users often resort to the help of third-party applications. The most popular of them:
- Scanlite. As with any other program, after installing the scanner on the desktop or in the control panel, the corresponding shortcut appears. The convenience of this development lies in a simple interface and the need to perform a minimum list of manipulations - the user only needs to enter the file name, specify the path to save the document, and then start the scanning process with the corresponding button.
- ABBYY FineReader. Not only scans, but also recognizes the text, in addition to this - allows you to translate the document in an editable format. Minus - the program is paid, but it can be used in test mode.
- Ridioc. A popular program for users who need to be able to scan documents in different formats - as a rule, it is not necessary for random scanning.
- WinScan2PDF. The product is designed for the Windows operating system, is easy to use, but allows you to save the file exclusively in PDF format. You can download and install it absolutely free.
- Xerox Easy Printer Manager - The manager was created specifically for working with Xerox printers / scanners. This application is not only convenient and intuitive interface, but also a large number of features.
In addition to conventional digitization, Xerox Easy Printer Manager is a program for improving the quality of a photo or any other image. Consider the scanning process in more detail, assuming that the application is already installed on your PC:
- Click "Start" in the lower left corner of the screen. Select the “All Programs” tab, then the “Xerox Printers” folder, then the Xerox Easy Printer Manager.
- A program window will open in front of you, in which you need to find the tab "Switch to advanced mode".
- The next necessary active link in the upper part of the window is “Scan to PC Settings”, where you can set the operation parameters of interest to the user (saving path, resolution, color, etc.).
- Next, go to the “Image” tab and adjust the settings as you need.
- Are you done? Switch to the main mode and click on the “Scan” button - a window with the program’s capabilities will open, you just have to start the process you are interested in and save the result.
Following this step-by-step instruction, anyone can scan a document or photo, even if he has never used the program before.
How to save scanned documents
Some "native" applications for MFPs do not save scanned files, but simply open them in the application for viewing images. With this option, you simply press the key combination “Ctrl + S” and select the folder where the document should be placed. It is better to install software that is verified by other users and can save photocopies automatically. Among people, Adobe Reader or DjvuReaser are popular. Just set the format for the image and the storage location.
The device can scan your file with black fields, and before saving them to the computer, they must be cut off in the editor. The standard resolution is 150 dpi, for official references - 300. The size of the final file is affected by the format in which you saved the electronic document, for example, jpg has the least value, and tif and bmp are much larger.
Features of scanning in the Paint program
In addition to the applications we examined, there is another simple scanning method - through the standard Paint program. You need:
- Launch the application by finding it through the "Start" button.
- Click on the “File” tab, and then select “From Scanner or Camera”.
- Scan preparation starts on the computer monitor, where you need to select the file type and adjust the resolution / image brightness.
- After the scan has been started, the image or scan of the document you need appears on the screen, all that remains is to save the file in the required graphic format.
The advantage of this program over third-party applications is that the user does not need to download and install additional products - just turn on the “native” option and perform some simple manipulations.
Having studied the above information with step-by-step instructions, we can conclude that scanning a document to a computer is as simple a task as photocopying, restoring data from a USB flash drive, etc. The main thing is to find the appropriate instruction and clearly follow it. If the need to scan documents to a computer is rare, and the files themselves are used only for the purpose of storing and transmitting information, the built-in capabilities of the operating system are sufficient. If the user needs to edit the scanned files, including their quality and format, it makes sense to install a third-party application, which greatly simplifies the manipulation due to wide functionality.
Thank the author, share the article on social networks.