Learning Computer Parts
The docking station allows you to quickly connect and disconnect all peripheral devices. When you are at home or in
office, connect the laptop to the dock to expand its capabilities, imitating a powerful desktop
to the computer. Also, you can quickly turn off the laptop.
Before disconnecting the laptop from the dock, make sure that
connected peripherals are not used, then
Undock computer in the Windows menu If Windows
informed you of a disconnect error, before disconnecting
you must turn off the laptop from the dock.
Shutdown on Windows
ATTENTION: When the laptop is connected to the dock
stations, never pick up one laptop.
Always lift the entire unit by the base
CAUTION! If a laptop connected
to the dock, went into sleep mode, not
take it off. Before disconnecting the laptop from
docking stations “wake him up” and in the Windows menu
“Start” select “Undock Computer”.
When the laptop is turned on:
(1) Turn off the laptop Make sure that the connected
peripherals are not used, press the button
Dock / Undock on a dock or Undock on Windows Indicator
on the dock lights up and goes off If Windows reported
to you about a disconnect error, before disconnecting the laptop from
dock you must turn it off
(2) Press the mechanical eject button on the dock
(3) Lift the back of the laptop with both hands
When the laptop is turned off:
(1) Press the eject button
(2) Lift the back of the laptop
(1) First lower the front of the laptop
(2) Align the triangles of the laptop and the dock
(3) Lower the back of the laptop and press down
CAUTION! Before connecting a laptop, make sure to dock
power is connected. (The laptop power supply may be turned off.)
Level One UDS-1000
The German company Level One, which has already managed to establish itself well in the Russian market of network equipment, offers, in addition to network equipment, various peripheral devices. Among which is a docking station for laptops, UDS-1000. This model allows you to add a RS-232, PS / 2, LPT, USB 2.0, RJ45 port and a D-Sub graphic port to your mobile computer. In fact, all the peripheral environment, including a monitor, printer, card reader, keyboard and mouse, can be connected to the docking station and you just have to add a computer.
Characteristics Level One UDS-1000
Connection to a computer:
D-SUB + USB 2.0 Combo Port
USB 1.1 compatible
Standards USB 1.0, USB 1.1, USB 2.0
1 VGA graphic port
Three USB 2.0 ports
One RS-232 port (COM port)
One RJ45 Network Port
10/100 Mbit / s Ethernet
Two PS / 2 ports (keyboard and mouse)
USB via computer
From the power supply 110/220 V
Power Consumption - 450 mA, 5 V (2.25 W)
Dimensions 236x28x58 mm
So, we note interesting points. First of all, bus power. This means that when you use a dock on your desktop at home, you will save one electrical outlet. Well, if you can’t connect the laptop to the charger, then to save its batteries, you can power the dock from the outlet. Now the ports - in addition to the RS-232 and LPT ports, the docking station also has an RJ45 network port. That is, it gives you another network adapter that you can use for your internal home network. Or just use the dock adapter with its settings for the home network, and the built-in laptop for the working one.
The delivery kit for the Level One UDS-1000 dock is modest - in the box with the device you will find a power supply, a combined VGA + USB cable for connecting to a laptop, installation instructions and a driver CD.
The cable is quite long - 70 cm and at the same time thin, without additional shielding and filters. The quality of the image output to the analog CRT monitor, of course, is reduced, but this is not noticeable on the LCD monitor.
The docking station has a simple utilitarian design, similar to a school pencil case. On the front side of this "pencil case" there are PS / 2 ports for connecting a keyboard and mouse and a combined VGA + USB input. On the side faces there are large dark red inserts. They have LEDs that indicate the operation of the device.
Ports for connecting peripherals are located on the back of the dock. The power socket is located on the far left, and the RJ45 port for the network is on the far right.
During installation, drivers for USB bridges to peripheral ports and a USB network board are registered in the system. Connecting the laptop to the monitor is end-to-end and does not require drivers.
If you can not make a choice between the comfort of working on a desktop computer and the mobility of a laptop, then do not look for a compromise. You can choose a large laptop with a full keyboard and 17 "matrix, but it will be much cheaper to equip the workstation with a stationary LCD monitor, keyboard, mouse and docking station Level One UDS-1000. It will allow using two cables to connect a specialized LPT printer to the laptop device with RS-232 interface, will add an additional network port and three USB 2.0 ports. 70$The Level One UDS-1000 is changing the way laptop docking stations go. Now you know that they can be versatile, compact, and inexpensive.
We thank the company "SVEGA Computer", the official distributor of Level One in Russia for the equipment provided.
Mikhail Degtyarev (aka LIKE OFF)
Destination laptop docking station
For full-fledged work, a person needs additional peripheral devices: printing, scanning, an additional monitor, keyboard, hard drives, etc. - you can’t list all at once. Accordingly, for a normal, well-coordinated process, all this must be connected. All at the same time, due to the limited number of connectors, it will not work. Have to alternately turn on / off the units. This is where the Dock Station comes to the rescue, which will help optimize the workplace.
Docking station (from the English. Docking station - docking station) - a device that, due to a set of different ports, support for wireless protocols, significantly expands the capabilities of the laptop.
- Thanks to the USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 connectors, you can connect an additional monitor, keyboard, pointing device, hard drive.
- Equipping it with Gigabit Ethernet adapters, audio connectors allows you to connect speakers.
- There is a model built into the monitor. Using the UWB wireless protocol, it interacts with the system unit and laptop. When using the transmitter, data from a mobile gadget can be projected onto it.
- Henge Docs has released a station that can replace the system unit. The laptop turns on with the lid closed, it is enough to draw wires (make a connection) from peripheral devices. Installation takes place, after which he is ready to work with a monitor, TV or printer.
- You can equip it with a department for a CD / DVD drive or hard drive.
- It may include: card reader, modem port, fan.
In addition to the above, got a ticket to life and narrowly targeted models.
- Music. They perform the functions of a full-fledged music center - they allow you to listen to pre-amplified, musical compositions recorded on it through built-in speakers, and also charge the battery.
- Charging. It was invented stand, combined with a charger. The device stood upright in it, allowing you to use the phone. In addition, pair the device with the CP, perform a number of functions. Recharges of any mobile devices, laptops, with connectors universal for all devices are now released.
- Machine room. Here, the machine’s battery is used to charge mobile devices, most often a navigator, a mobile phone. Since it is installed vertically, if necessary, it can be used as a full-fledged headset for hands-free calls, a music center.
- Station wagon. The initial task of the docking stations, in addition to the mandatory recharging, is to combine all the devices connected to the laptop into one. This simplifies the exchange of data between them. For example, if you connect a keyboard to it, this will simplify typing on the phone, speed up data processing. Work with media will be simplified by the inclusion of an additional processing and amplification device.
Now you know what a Dock is, what it is used for and what benefits it can provide to a laptop user.