The staircase occupies an important place in the construction and decoration of buildings, premises for various purposes. Its cladding, as well as the design solutions used in this process, can give the interior unique and inimitable properties.
Creating staircases involves the use of various materials. A very common option in private homes, administrative buildings, shopping centers is the use of concrete staircases. And the task comes to the fore, the solution of which answers the question - how to finish the concrete staircase.
Photo of a beautifully finished concrete staircase
Advantages of concrete stairs
Elegant spiral staircase, you won’t immediately say that it is concrete
Features of finishing concrete structures
When the question arises of how to finish a staircase from concrete, a number of serious factors must be taken into account. Among them is how the flight of stairs is located, what is the height of the steps, a characteristic of the overall design of the room. It is also important who will move along this staircase and of course what will be the wishes of the owner.
The materials used for finishing the concrete structure: 1 - Wood, 2 - Laminate, 3 - Tile, 4 - Marble.
In the case of a direct concrete structure, the choice of material is diverse. For such a finish, almost any product used for cladding concrete surfaces can be used.
If the running steps of the stairs are finished, then the use of materials requiring circumcision on the spot is not recommended.
These include tile or stone.
On the contrary, laminate, linoleum or carpet are recommended for decoration.
These materials are also well suited for families with small children or older people. A staircase carpet can cushion falls, which is important for our children.
When choosing a concrete staircase lining, it is worth considering the issue of soundproofing characteristics. Laminate or carpet have excellent sound absorption, as a result of which noise is not spread. Porcelain tiles or tiles, on the contrary, amplify the sound.
Tip: Postpone the finishing of the staircase if the interior decoration is not finished.
As a result of the fall of building materials or tools on it, the lining can quickly become unusable.
Budget options for finishing concrete structures
In the choice of how to finish the concrete staircase in the house, an important role belongs to the economic component of the process, in other words, the price of the material is important. And therefore painting the stairs is the most acceptable option in this case. The presence of a wide range of colors provides magnificent open spaces for the manifestation of imagination.
The painted steps keep the concrete cool and at the same time have a strict ascetic look. Of course, this coating cannot be called durable, because over time, the abrasion of the paint.
But at the same time, to restore the original state of the surface is not so difficult. Still painting can be used as an intermediate finish, in the event that the steps in the future will be finished with other material.
Concrete staircases located in residential areas will look great if they are carpeted.
Tip: When choosing a material, remember that it will have to be cleaned.
Therefore, it is better if the carpet has a short pile.
Acrylic does not have good wear resistance, therefore, a coating having polyamide or polypropylene fibers is recommended. A carpet with a thick felt backing is not appropriate on the stairs. Better if he has a rubber base.
When approaching the choice of material with particular care, focus on those rolls that are marked with a special icon. Carpeted with battens and glue.
Parquet or laminate
Finishing concrete stairs with laminate or parquet is also popular. Designs finished with these materials can give the feeling of antiquity.
Similarly, those who value modern design are happy to use them. Both the laminate and the parquet are mounted to the surface using glue for parquet, liquid nails or a self-leveling mixture.
Each building has an entrance or front staircase. Its decoration needs careful preparation and should be moisture and frost resistant. And it is the concrete tile staircase that is most suitable for these purposes.
This cladding is quite durable, and many environmental factors do not act on it, including ultraviolet light, temperature changes and humidity. It often happens that you need to restore the steps and finish the concrete stairs with tiles - a great way for restoration.
A material such as tiles has a wide range, and a variety of colors and textures can realize many ideas. If the steps are located in the open air, then the tile should have a corrugated surface to eliminate slipping.
We trim the stairs with tiles
Instructions for the design of concrete steps using ceramic tiles with your own hands:
- The surface is cleaned from dirt and dust.. After that, an estimation of the whole tile is carried out, the measurement of those parts that need to be cut, fitting under the protrusions.
- Apply a layer of glueeither cement-based or special tiled.
- If the concrete structure is located inside the house, then ordinary, tile adhesive is used. If on the street, it is necessary to use a special frost-resistant glue, and the same grout.
- By pressing the tile, with the help of the building level, its location is checked, if necessary, using a rubber mallet, adjustments are made. The thickness of the adhesive layer is determined practically and depends on the degree of curvature of the plane. The smoother the surface, the less glue will leave.
- Then lay the next tileleaving a gap whose width depends on the size of the tile and the resulting pattern. The recommended gap thickness is 2-5 mm.
To ensure that the seam along the entire length is the same, use special plastic crosses. The adhesive protruding from the seams is immediately removed with a soft cloth.
We lay the tiles on the solution, adjust with a rubber mallet
Tip: When laying out tiles in places where people constantly go, first they finish one part of the stairs, and after it dries, the second.
Do not forget to put up a fence.
- After the glue has dried, grouting is performed. This is done with a rubber spatula, and the grout can have contrasting colors with the tile or a little lighter or darker.
- After the grout has dried the tile must be washed with warm water using a soft, light cloth.
The process is simple, but painstaking, requiring some patience and perseverance.
The final result will please you
The modern construction market presents a large number of finishing materials that can serve the satisfaction of any, most refined taste. In the video presented in this article, you will find additional information on this topic.
There are two basic requirements for stairs, including concrete:
- safe movement
- presentable appearance.
Among the options for finishing materials there are different in structure: durable and solid, liquid and woven. But all of them are united by the two above requirements. Consider a list of 8 of the most popular options that are used for facing steps of concrete stairs:
- Laminate. Only high-grade material (classes 33 and 34) with good wear resistance is allowed. It features a variety of textures, textures and shades.
- Cork coating. Increased heat and sound insulation, good wear resistance. The material is 100% eco-friendly.
- Carpet. Like cork, it has high soundproofing properties. The surface is soft and pleasant to walk.
- Ceramic tiles and porcelain tiles. You need to choose only floor models. Large selection of sizes and designs.
- Clinker steps. These are finished products specifically for stairs that are made of baked clay. Suitable for finishing internal and external stairs.
- A rock. Traditional material for finishing concrete stairs. Gives a presentable appearance. For facing use natural and artificial types of stones.
- Paint. This material is mainly used for the decoration of street stairs, as well as internal, located in office and utility rooms. Cheap but short-lived solution.
- Array of wood. This is a classic staircase facing. Here is a large list of positive characteristics: naturalness, warmth, sound insulation, excellent appearance, ease of installation, long-term operation.
Below we will consider all these options in more detail.
A commercial laminate of class 32 or 33 is suitable for facing steps of a concrete staircase. It has high wear resistance. When choosing, you need to pay attention to the width of the lamella. Ideal if it is equal to or greater than the depth of the step. But this is rare, because the width of the laminate is 150-200 mm, and the standard depth of the steps is 300 mm. Therefore, most often to longitudinally lay the panel and close the steps completely without joints it does not work.
Therefore, the panels are cut into pieces equal to the width of the march. For example, if the depth of a step is 30 cm and the width of the panels is 20 cm, then 2 segments will have to be consumed per step.
With the plane of the risers, everything is much simpler. Their standard height varies between 150-220 mm, which means that they can be faced with one laminate panel, laying it along the plane.
Now about how to perform the facing:
- For fixing the laminate, a special angular metal profile is used. It is attached with dowels or screws to the corner of the step.
- Laminate segments are inserted into the grooves of the corner, while they are interconnected by a groove-tongue lock. You can start installation from any edge.
- A panel for approaching is inserted into the lower groove of the corner.
- Laminate is necessarily laid on the adhesive, which is called adhesive for laminated flooring. It is applied to the concrete surface with a notched trowel.
- The corner profile is closed by a corner plate, which is made of wood, metal, plastic. It is inserted into the upper grooves on the profile, which are necessarily processed with adhesive.
In the same way it is possible to carry out facing with a parquet board.
Glue flooring is used to finish cast concrete. This is a kind of sandwich panel, the front part of which is covered with veneer of balsa wood, the base is pressed cork. The veneer itself is additionally covered with a polyvinyl layer on top, which increases the moisture and wear resistance of the material.
Cork is a 1 m2 square panel. From it, pieces are simply cut into sizes corresponding to the surfaces of the steps and risers of the concrete staircase. The edges are reinforced with special plastic or metal profiles. Then they are glued on the plane with special glue for cork.
Important! Place the cork only on a dry surface.
Facing with ceramic tiles or porcelain tiles
One of the most difficult finishing methods. You can do it yourself with your own hands, if you choose a monophonic tile, the size of which coincides with the steps in depth. But today everything is much simpler, because there are finished products on the market that exactly simulate the steps of the stairs.
Docking of ordinary tiles with kapinos
Sheathing with such a material is a simple matter, because the trimmed plane is completely covered with one sheet. No undercuts and fits. The main thing is to precisely select the slab according to the size of the elements of the flight of stairs. Ceramic staircase lining goes on sale in a complete set: steps, risers and baseboards. All in a single design.
Instructions for laying tiles on the steps
The installation of ceramics is carried out, as in the case of tiles, on the adhesive composition. It should be borne in mind that first of all it is necessary to glue the steps or steps. It all depends on the configuration of the elements. If it’s just a stove, then there’s no difference. If the installation is carried out with a special profile, then the steps are installed first, then the profile, and lastly the steps. Read the detailed instructions for decorating steps with porcelain stoneware.
Installation of brick steps
In principle, the technology of facing the steps with clinker material is the same as using porcelain stoneware. That is, on the adhesive composition. Since clinker tiles are frost-resistant, in comparison with porcelain stoneware and ceramic tiles, it is also used for decorating street stairs.
The sequence of operations:
- Glue is applied to the plane of the approach.
- The plate is laid on the adhesive composition with alignment in the planes.
- Glue is applied to the plane of the step.
- A top plate with a visor is installed, which itself covers the upper part of the approach.
Stone cladding rules
Finishing concrete stairs with stone is practical and long-lasting, but very expensive, even if artificial materials are used. This process is associated with the cutting of stone slabs to the size of the flights of stairs. And this will require special equipment. Someone cuts stone tiles with a grinder, but after that it is not necessary to talk about exact sizes and even edges.
There are no special plates for stairs, so you can not do without trimming. Of course, you can individually order plates for the dimensions, but they will cost more.
Installation is carried out on the adhesive. The laying technology is no different from ceramic or clinker. The main thing is to align the cladding elements in planes evenly.
This is the easiest and most economical way to finish concrete stairs. It is important to give the planes maximum strength and evenness. Therefore, before painting, all surfaces are aligned to the maximum using a grinder, and are treated with a deep penetration primer. And after drying, they are painted.
Before applying the paintwork, the staircase is first ground, then treated with a primer
To paint concrete surfaces, special materials based on polyurethane, acrylic or epoxy are needed. In appearance, they are no different from ordinary paints. But they have an increased rate of wear resistance. Apply these paints to the prepared surface with a roller or brush. The only thing to be prepared for is to repaint the steps every 5-8 years.
Natural wood finish
Respect for a bulky concrete staircase can be given only by wood. For a private large house or cottage - this is ideal. For the decoration of stairs, strong species are selected: larch, oak, beech.
The installation process itself is associated with the construction of the frame from the bars with the laying of plywood:
- On the steps a frame is constructed from bars with a section of 30x30 or 40x40 mm. They are installed around the perimeter of the plane and are attached to the concrete structure with self-tapping screws on plastic dowels.
- A plywood sheet is trimmed on top, cut to the size of the frame. It is attached to the latter with self-tapping screws. The sheet is necessary to increase the strength of the base.
- Then a wooden board 25-35 mm thick is laid, which is attached to the base with self-tapping screws.
- In the same way, risers are mounted on the frame.
- Plinths are installed.
Read more about this in the instructions for lining the stairs with wood.
For cladding concrete stairs with tiles, ceramic products or finished clinker steps are usually used. The latter option will cost much more, so we will consider ceramic cladding, which will require:
- construction level (length not less than 1.5 m),
- glass cutter
- angle grinder,
- a bucket or other container with a smooth surface,
- spatulas (regular, comb and rubber of various sizes),
- sand and cement or adhesive,
- plastic crosses.
Before laying the tiles, clean the work surface, and when it dries, prepare the finishing material:
- Sort and cut the tile.
- Use a level to measure the surface distortions. If it is estimated that the height of the solution will be more than 2 cm, then it is necessary to cover the surface with a leveling layer. To do this, put a cement-sand mortar on the steps with a wide spatula and wait until it dries.
- Если бетонная поверхность не нуждается в выравнивающем слое, на нее наносятся засечки (с помощью топора или отвертки), благодаря которым плитка лучше «сцепится» с основанием.
- Apply a primer to the steps.
After that, finish the concrete stairs using the following technology:
- Install the first tile (it must be intact) from the edge of the stairs. Once you have aligned it, you can lay the cropped item. At this stage, it is better not to apply the solution, as the product may need to be sized.
- Using a level, check that the tile is laid horizontally.
- If all is well, apply glue or cement mortar to the ceramic tile (use a notched trowel to do this).
- Rotate the element to the step.
- Press the tile over its entire surface so that air and excess solution come out from under it, which must be removed immediately.
- Lay the second tile in the same way and “walk” along the resulting seam with the sharp angle of the spatula to clean the “groove” for future grouting.
- Wait until the solution has completely dried and grout with rubber spatulas.
Such decoration of the steps of a concrete staircase has only one drawback - poor sound insulation.
If silence is an important criterion for you or if elderly people and children live in the house who can slip on the tiles, then deciding how to finish the concrete staircase in the house, it is worth giving preference to softer coatings, for example - laminate.
To work with this material, it is also recommended to level the surface of the steps with cement mortar and a wooden substrate, as shown in the photo. Please note that the step difference in height should not be more than 1 cm (the first step is an exception).
Useful! In addition to the plywood substrate, it is recommended to use polyethylene with a thickness of not more than 2 mm. It will play the role of a heat and waterproofing layer.
Also consider the following recommendations for choosing panels for finishing concrete stairs with laminate:
- You need to select the laminate according to the width of the stairwell, this will greatly simplify the work.
- The thicker the panels, the longer they can withstand mechanical stress.
- The width of the panels should be sufficient so that the lock joints are not on the tread.
- Since formaldehyde is used in the manufacture of the laminate, you need to choose a safe material. The most environmentally friendly is a laminate of class E1.
To lay the laminate:
- On the line where the treads and risers are joined, install special gaskets-supports so that the coating can be freely pushed under the edge of the vertical lining.
- Apply glue or liquid nails to the riser.
- Press the cover panel firmly using spacer wedges and lock in position.
- In the case of using a powder profile, it is necessary to apply glue to its back side and firmly press the material to the corners of the step. After that, the profile is fixed with screws or spacers.
- Spread the adhesive evenly over the tread.
- Lay the laminate. Usually they begin to veneer from the upper step. At the same time, the laminate panel must connect to the "lock to lock" flooring. If the floor of the top floor has a different coating, then use molding.
- Install a rubber or plastic insert on the edge profile and secure the insert profile.
In addition to the laminate, carpet has good noise and heat insulation properties.
Before proceeding with the choice of the finishing material itself, it is necessary to understand that the staircase is that element of architecture that has a regular, intense load. This is especially true for stairs located outside the building. By the way, the location of the structure also plays a very important role. Therefore, to the facing material for internal stairs the following requirements are put forward:
- Firstly, it should not add too much weight to an already massive element. Typically, the stairs located in the house, as it were, "hang" in the air. This is already causing them to experience tremendous stress. And imagine, if you lay natural marble on the steps? Yes, and add to this the weight of the adhesive ...
- Secondly, most often the staircase is an adornment and almost the main element of the interior. Especially when it comes to a private home or cultural institution. Accordingly, the finishing material should emphasize the beauty of its shape, if it is non-standard, or at least harmoniously fit the general finish,
- Also, do not forget that the stairs are a traumatic place, especially for children and the elderly. So, the finishing material must be safe - not slip. In the ideal case, before proceeding with the decoration, it is necessary to provide for the illumination of the steps. Of course, this recommendation is purely individual in nature,
- If worth task to save as much money as possible at this stage of the work, then in addition to maintainability, you need to think about whether self-laying of the selected material can be performed. Consideration should also be given to the costs of acquiring or renting specific equipment that may be needed in the process. For example, a stone grinder or a device for cutting hard porcelain tiles,
- An important role is played by the ability to perform local repair or replacement of the coating, for example, on one step in which case,
- It is also worth considering the noise insulation properties of the material. The best in this regard will be carpets or wood,
- If the house has allergies, pay attention to the hypoallergenic material. However, this applies to all finishing materials in this case,
- The “warmth” of the material is also important for stairs located inside the house. It’s hard and cold to walk barefoot on the tile, and it’s much more pleasant on the laminate,
- This recommendation applies not only to internal stairs, but also to external - the material should have a high level of wear resistance and abrasion.
Concerning stairs located outside of buildings:
- Most importantly, the material must be resistant to adverse environmental factors: sudden changes in temperature, frost, constant exposure to ultraviolet radiation,
- You also need to remember about possible moisture. If water is absorbed deep into the material, after some time this will lead to its destruction. Moisture can penetrate through the pores. It follows that the surface of the material should be smooth and holistic,
- Regarding mandatory availability anti-slip coating we have already said, but in addition to this, there is, for example, ceramic tile, on the surface of which there are special notches or cuts designed to enhance the effect.
Concrete staircase painting
Let's start our review, perhaps, with the simplest and most affordable material in terms of cost - paint on concrete. If now in your head an association with painted steps in old buildings of the USSR times instantly arose, then do not rush to draw conclusions. Technology has stepped forward a long time since then, and today the paintwork can not only look pretty decent, but also show high performance:
- Staining with several thin layers allows you to create a strong, monolithic coating on the concrete surface, which in addition enhances the strength of concrete. As a result, the life of the entire structure is significantly extended,
- Modern paint and varnish compositions have high adhesive properties, do not exfoliate and are well distributed on the surface of the base. Of course, in order to achieve this effect, you need to thoroughly clean the concrete from dust, grease stains and other contaminants. But on the account of the need for preliminary coating with a primer, you need to consult a hardware store, or carefully read the recommendations of the paint manufacturer on the package,
- Final coating is elastic. This prevents the possibility of cracking, and also provides small cushioning properties,
- The abrasion rates of the painted surface are very high. Even if several years later obvious signs of exploitation appear on it, it will not be difficult to restore the original appearance,
- Choosing a paint with certain additives, you can create a coating with anti-slip effect,
- The color palette of the compositions is quite wide. By showing imagination, you can paint the stairs in such a way that one look at it will cheer you up,
- Some formulations can even out surface irregularities. But regarding the maximum difference, you should also ask the seller or try to find information on the bank,
- The coating can be frost and moisture resistant,
- And the most pleasant thing for housewives - to clean and wash the stairs, faced in this way, is a pleasure. Firstly, the coating is often resistant to various household chemicals. And secondly, it is seamless, which means that you don’t have to work hard to sweep out small debris from joints or seams.
Concerning disadvantages then there are only two of them:
- No matter how bright and attractive the painted staircase looks, it is still undesirable to choose this method for facing the main march. To put it mildly, the stairs will look too simple and modest,
- If the surface of the concrete is so uneven that even several layers of paint cannot hide it, additional leveling may be required. And this is an additional cost. Of course, you can leave it as it is, but be prepared that the flaws will be noticeable.
Painting is an excellent, quick and budget option for finishing staircases leading, for example, to utility rooms or a basement, or spans in public buildings. About which formulations are suitable for application on a concrete surface, there is a separate article on our website.
For wood, it is recommended to choose oak, larch, ash or beech.
As well as for a laminate for a wooden coating, it is better to level the surface of the steps. After that, a primer is applied to the leveling layer.
Further, the concrete staircase is lined with wood in the following sequence:
- Fix plywood on the steps with a thickness of 10-15 cm, it will perform a moisture-absorbing function.
- Reapply the primer.
- Screw 3 bolts 6 mm in diameter into the lower end of the first riser, and they should protrude slightly.
- Cut the caps off the bolts.
- Align the wooden step with the concrete and mark the location of the bolts.
- Drill holes of the desired diameter and fill the voids with epoxy.
- Spread the plywood with liquid nails and lay the facing board on it.
- Cut a notch in the step necessary for the abutting riser.
- Fasten the second riser to the step.
- Coat the plywood and groove with adhesive and install the first wooden step.
- Use the level to verify that it is installed correctly.
- Repeat for the rest of the steps.
In addition to the stairs inside the house, it is also necessary to deal with cladding and street structures.
Features of the exterior staircase
For concrete stairs on the street, porcelain or other tiles used for exterior decoration are most suitable.
It should be borne in mind that the finishing material and the adhesive base for it must have good moisture resistance indicators. The frost resistance of the tile adhesive should be at least 100 cycles.
To prevent the staircase from turning into a skating rink in the cold season, it is best to use tiles with a pronounced corrugated surface or cover ordinary smooth products with a special anti-slip compound.
Choose carpet or linoleum
Another affordable material is carpet. Moreover, manufacturers have provided this option for the use of the material and created a special carpet with a rubber base. Lay down and you can fix the material to the flight of stairs two ways:
- By applying a special adhesive,
- Or with the help of decorative corners, which are fixed at the base of each step with the help of screws, thereby fixing the canvas and clearly repeating the contours.
The benefits this finishing material has enough:
- It is very pleasant to the touch
- The coating is warm and comfortable, which you especially appreciate in the cold season,
- In addition, it provides the proper level of sound absorption,
- You can choose a canvas with different pile lengths and its thickness. However, for reasons of practicality, lint-free varieties, that is, looped canvases, are often chosen. Cleaning in this case is much simpler.
- The cost of carpet is quite affordable,
- A variety of colors, as well as the ability to choose products with an interesting print, allows you to make the harmonious and attractive finish,
- The carpet goes well with various decorative overlays. For example, with corners that are attached to the outer corner of the steps. Corners simultaneously perform two functions in this case - they prevent slipping of the coating in the absence of an adhesive layer and complement the overall design,
- This type of coating is not attractive to various microorganisms, so you don’t have to worry that after laying, someone “starts up under it,
Laying the carpet on the steps can be done independently. The main thing is to pre-deploy the roll of the coating and let it rest and straighten under its own weight. It usually takes no more than a day. Regarding the disadvantages:
- Most of the front part of the coating is made of synthetic material. Because of this, if you accidentally slip and “drive” along the carpet, you can easily comb the top layer of the skin and get a kind of burn,
- Some note low wear resistance material. However, in this case there is the possibility of simply making the wrong choice. After all, it is not for nothing that manufacturers indicate the wear resistance class and in which rooms the installation is intended. For example, if you choose from a household carpet, you need to pay attention to 23rd grade - for rooms with high traffic (corridors, hallways). You can also choose from options for commercial carpet. Then you should pay attention to 33 class - for rooms with a constant flow of people passing (halls, corridors).
You can’t write off such type of coverage as linoleum. It is best suited for laying on stairs indoors. However, in the case of linoleum, it is still better to use special glue and additionally fix the material with decorative corners. Also, you should not choose an overly dense look, otherwise you simply will not bend it in the form of steps. And the rest, both in cost and in operational characteristics, linoleum is in no way inferior to carpet. Unless its longevity can be higher.
Facing a concrete staircase with a laminate or parquet board
Another suitable option for finishing the stairs is laminate or parquet. These materials are also excellent heat and sound insulators. Laminate may have a plank thickness of 6 to 12 mm. In this case, when choosing, you must be guided by the rule, the thicker the better. This will provide both simpler installation and higher reliability and durability of the coating. Another important recommendation - choose the laminate is better from the commercial series. Its laminated surface has a thicker protective layer, which provides higher abrasion rates. In the ideal case, the width of the panel will be equal to the depth of the step. Under such conditions, finishing yourself will be the easiest. If the bar is a little wider, it doesn’t matter. You can easily give it the right size with an electric jigsaw. But narrower trims in this case will not work. There are several ways of attaching a laminate or parquet to the steps, however gluing the material directly to concrete is considered less time-consuming and faster. For work, In addition to the finishing material, we will need:
- The edge profile, the required amount of which is easy to calculate by measuring the length of the step and multiplying the value by the number of steps,
- Decorative lining on the profile,
- Screws and dowels,
- Special glue.
It is very important to leave the facing material in the printed state in the room where the facing will be done, at least for a day. This is necessary so that he regains working temperature, acclimatizes, so to speak, becomes more flexible and does not burst. Himself process highly plain:
- Pre-concrete surface is leveled, cleaned and primed,
- First of all, an edge profile, which is made of aluminum, is glued. Moreover, on one of its surfaces there are holes for screws. This part should go to the lower stage. Glue is applied only to the edge of the upper step. Then, holes are drilled at the location of the aforementioned holes, a dowel is inserted and a self-tapping screw is screwed. In no case should the self-tapping head protrude over the profile,
- Next, the glue is applied to the laminate plate, which is glued first to the upper plane of the step, and then to the end. In addition, there are protrusions on the profile that repeat the shape of the laminate lock. Поэтому замки на планках должны располагаться соответствующим образом. А после приклеивания их еще и необходимо защелкнуть между собой,
- Make sure that excess glue does not protrude anywhere. If necessary, remove them with a damp cloth.
- At the end, glue is applied to the decorative overlay that covers the aluminum profile.
- For clarity, watch the video:
Benefits this type of finish:
- The use of natural, safe materials for health
- Possibility of self-installation
- Maintainability of the coating,
- A variety of colors and textures of the laminate,
- Easy care
- Low weight
- High thermal insulation characteristics,
- Affordable cost
- A complete imitation of a real tree,
- Possibility of selection for any interior.
Finishing stairs with ceramic tiles or porcelain tiles
This finishing method fits as for cladding stair spans inside like that outside the premises. In addition, today, many manufacturers offer ready-made collections specifically designed for laying on steps. Their characteristic difference is the availability shaped parts:
And if your staircase has a more or less standard configuration, it will not be difficult to select elements that are suitable in size. And even if its shape and intricate, many companies will go to meet you and produce parts to order. True, the cost of such a solution can be quite tangible. Despite the fact that tiles can be laid outside, you should not think that absolutely all the material is able to adequately withstand the vagaries of nature. Evidence that your chosen series is really designed for operation. In the open, a snowflake on the packaging will testify. This suggests that the material is frost-resistant. So that there is no doubt at all, give preference to porcelain stoneware. But it is better to refuse laying it inside the building because of its considerable weight. The process of laying tiles on the steps follows the same scheme as the process of facing a flat floor. TO the benefits this finishing method can include:
- Compatible with underfloor heating. In fact, the same laminate can be laid on top of a warm floor, however, due to the very low coefficient of wood, such a solution will be inappropriate. And infrared mats are better for carpet or linoleum. Therefore, in the case of using "traditional" electrical systems, tiles will be the best solution,
- Durability and wear resistance
- Resistance to various household chemicals, which makes the cleaning process quick and easy,
- Opportunity to purchase anti-slip tiles,
- Possibility of self-installation
- Moisture resistant
- Affordable cost.
TO disadvantages can include:
- Possible difficulties when facing steps of intricate shapes. In the case of self-finishing, this fact will simply make the work longer and more time consuming. And if you turned to a professional tiler for help, he will certainly require a higher reward for this,
- When decorating spiral staircases, you get a very high percentage of waste associated with widespread pruning. Therefore, for such spans it is better to choose a different type of finish,
- Extreme surface rigidity
- Significant weighting of the structure,
- The lack of an atmosphere of warmth and comfort due to the natural coldness of the surface.
Natural stone finish
This is perhaps the most spectacular, but at the same time expensive type of finish. Steps inside buildings rationally faced with any kind of natural stone, if this corresponds to the general concept of the room. Moreover, it can be either natural marble or granite, or ordinary sandstone. It all depends on your budget and preferences. When it comes to marble or granite, it is often sold in the form of already polished slabs with machined ends. You just have to choose the optimal size elements. Marble Slabs mounted on a special adhesive, after which all joints are wiped with a special grout. Always choose moisture resistant elastic compounds. Especially when it comes to facing the outer staircase. ABOUT the benefits Natural stone finishes are probably not worth talking about. And to disadvantages only cold surface, high cost and considerable weight can be attributed.
Concrete porch steps
Yes, yes, you were not mistaken. No matter how strange it may sound, but sometimes the most successful and durable way to finish the steps of the concrete porch is to lay special plates made of the same material. Some specialized organizations may offer such services. Typically, this method is chosen if the steps themselves are thin-walled and have a very uneven surface. So called concrete pads are made by vibrocasting according to the size of the steps of the base. At the same time, various reinforcing additives are necessarily introduced into the concrete mixture, which subsequently significantly increases the strength of the finished product. In addition, concrete pads have the following advantages: