In matters of caring for a child, a special place is occupied by the topic of caring for teeth and oral cavity. Parents always have a lot of questions: do I need to brush milk teeth? When to start brushing your teeth? What hygiene products are suitable for the smallest, and which ones are for older children? So that mothers do not have to wait for a dentist's consultation in the clinic, we will try to give answers to the most important questions.
Why does the baby brush his teeth?
In the parental environment, you can find the opinion that milk teeth do not need to be looked after - they will still be replaced. This opinion is erroneous, and a small child still needs to brush his teeth. The fact is that the enamel of milk teeth is very weak, so caries affects it very easily. The risk of developing caries is also not related to the type of food: even if the baby is not yet fed, his teeth may suffer, because both breast milk and the milk mixture contain sugar.
Caries affected by caries can become a source of infection, which in a descending manner can spread throughout the body and cause serious diseases from tonsillitis to pyelonephritis. Acquaintance with dentists at an early age is unlikely to please the baby, and neglected caries is a toothache, exclusion of a diseased tooth from the chewing process (which means that the child will not be able to chew food properly), and in the worst case, tooth extraction. By the way, removing milk teeth before their natural change is highly undesirable. This can disrupt the process of bite formation, lead to speech defects or the distortion of permanent teeth. In order to prevent such serious consequences, care for milk teeth should be mandatory.
Video Tips for Parents on Teaching a Child to Brush Teeth
When to start dental care?
It is difficult to name the specific age at which it is worth starting to care for your teeth. The fact is that you need to brush your teeth from the moment they appear, and this process is very individual. On average, the first tooth appears in the mouth at the age of 6 months, but some babies acquire their teeth earlier, and some only delight parents with this event by the year. A tooth is considered erupted, at least one top of which appears from the gum. True, care for him during this period is twofold: on the one hand, during teething, local immunity of the oral cavity decreases, and there is a high risk of catching an infection. On the other hand, the gums are inflamed, a real wound forms around the cutting tooth, so brushing can be very painful for the child.
Some dentists are of the opinion that oral care should be started without waiting for the first teeth. Firstly, even in the absence of teeth in the mouth and complementary foods in the diet, microorganisms accumulate on the mucosa, which can cause such unpleasant diseases as stomatitis, gingivitis, candidiasis. Secondly, the early start of oral care helps to develop a hygiene habit, and the toothbrush no longer causes such a protest in the child. According to this approach, gum care should be started 2-3 months before the first teeth appear, i.e. at the age of 3-4 months.
Baby Oral Care
Before the appearance of milk teeth, child oral hygiene involves rubbing the gums and tongue. In this way, you can easily remove harmful plaque and clean the baby’s mouth from bacteria. You can also wipe the very first teeth, which even with a soft brush will be unpleasant to clean. For wiping, you can use the following tools:
- Gauze swab or bandage moistened with boiled water (water can be slightly salted) . You can’t use cotton wool for these purposes: it does not fit the texture (has no roughness) and can leave fibers after itself,
- Napkins-fingertips “Toothpicks” with xylitol. They serve to cleanse the oral cavity and teeth, to relieve pain from cutting teeth, prevent baby thrush, protect gums, and prevent caries. There is a taste of mint and banana. eat without taste. They are used to clean not only teeth, but also the entire oral cavity. Designed for children from birth to 6 years,
- Dental wipes. Napkins for the mouth "spiffies" with the taste of grapes or apples. They are impregnated with a special safe antiseptic - xylitol, therefore they disinfect the oral cavity well. They are used to clean not only teeth, but also the entire oral cavity. The only negative is that this option will be overhead for the family budget, since napkins are disposable and are not cheap.
After about six months, the child's expelling reflex disappears. From this moment, you can use other tools to brush your teeth:
- Silicone fingertip brush will be needed from 6 months to 1 year. At this age, the child cannot yet hold the toothbrush and make the necessary movements, so it’s more convenient to brush your teeth with the help of such a brush,
- Classic children's toothbrush. Such a brush should have soft bristles, a short comfortable handle and a cleaning surface with an area of about 2 children’s teeth.
Together with the brush you need to use toothpaste. Toothpaste is also selected according to the age of the child:
- A gel-like toothpaste with a neutral or milky taste is suitable for children who have not yet received complementary foods. Such a paste does not contain abrasive substances, and a neutral or milky taste does not cause discomfort and rejection in the child,
- Fruit flavored toothpaste. Children who are already familiar with complementary foods relate well to “fruit” pasta: banana, raspberry, strawberry.
How to clean teeth
You need to brush your teeth 2 times a day: morning and evening. Each procedure in duration should be about 2-3 minutes, but you can start to clean from less time, so that the child gets used gradually.
It is very important not only to follow the procedure formally, but to clean the teeth correctly. The rules for brushing children's teeth are not much different from adults, but it will not be superfluous to recall them.
- The brush must be applied to the teeth at an angle of 45 degrees and make it “sweeping” movement from the gums to the cutting edge of the tooth.
- You need to brush your teeth both on the outside and on the inside.
- The chewing surface of the teeth should be brushed in circular translational movements.
- Do not forget the tongue: it must also be cleaned with the back of the brush (almost all brushes have a rough outer side just for these purposes).
How to teach a child to brush his teeth independently: learning by playing
The child usually begins to clean his teeth on his own by the age of two, and the first attempts to hold the brush in his hands himself appear about a year. The best way to teach your baby to use a toothbrush is a personal example. Children tend to imitate adults, because this is the best way to learn new skills. That is why it is best to start with a joint trip to the bath in the mornings and evenings. Of course, the baby’s first attempts will be very far from perfect, but that’s why parents are needed nearby to guide the inept pen.
Another good way is to put a mirror in front of the tiny one. Children are very fond of looking at their reflection. Seeing himself, it is easier for the child to control movements and more interesting to observe where he reaches with a brush.
For a useful lesson to be interesting, you can add game elements to it. Some games have especially proven themselves.
- The smallest ones will be interested in brushing their teeth to the beat of their favorite counters, songs or poems. Particularly talented mothers can even compose a poem in themselves, in which the name of the child will sound,
- With older children, brushing your teeth can be turned into a secret task to protect the baby from the fierce Caries,
- It’s very effective to bring your child’s favorite toys to the work and go with your teddy bear or doll to brush your teeth,
- To develop the skill of brushing your teeth, you can arrange family competitions who brush their teeth faster. Parents, of course, should give in and lose the contest.
Video: how to teach a child 10-11 months to brush his teeth and how to make the procedure like him:
Features of the structure of primary teeth
Milk teeth are formed at the sixth week of fetal development. Normally there are 20 of them:
Temporary teeth consist of the same tissues as the permanent ones:
- dentin (in temporary teeth it is softer and less mineralized),
However, milk incisors, canines and molars have features:
- low crowns
- long distance between crowns
- long thin roots that dissolve before the loss of a temporary tooth and eruption of a permanent one,
- fine enamel - only 1 mm,
- wide channels.
The structure of milk teeth is only slightly different from permanent teeth, so they no less need proper care. You can start brushing your child’s teeth after cutting the very first incisor. Early accustoming to hygiene will be an excellent prevention against many dental diseases that can affect milk incisors, and then the beginnings of the permanent ones formed under them.
If you do not take care of the baby’s teeth or take care of them incorrectly, already in the first three years of life the baby will have to visit pediatric dentists. Or it may tolerate boring of decayed teeth with boron, which is painful and unpleasant for a small child, even under conditions of high-quality anesthesia.
How to clean the mouth of a baby
Immediately after discharge from the hospital, you must begin to wipe the gums of the newborn baby with a dense gauze swab dipped in water. You can also wet the swab in:
- chamomile infusion, if the baby does not have constipation,
- bactericidal infusion of sage,
- St. John's wort broth, as this plant strengthens the gums,
- anti-inflammatory broth of calendula.
It is not recommended to use decoctions and infusions of herbs for treating the oral cavity of infants more often 2-3 times a week, since abuse of them can lead to allergic reactions.
Hygiene, which involves treating the oral mucosa with a gauze swab, is necessary for those newborns who are breast-fed, and those babies who feed on artificial mixtures. Breast milk does not cleanse the oral cavity, but contaminates it. If you do not sanitize the baby’s mouth after feeding, then pathogenic bacteria will begin to multiply in it, which is fraught with infection of tooth enamel.
How to properly clean the tongue and oral cavity of a newborn before the appearance of teeth
It would seem that, well, for a newborn, why do you need oral hygiene - after all, there are still no teeth to be seen!
Not many mothers know, but infant oral hygiene is the prevention of stomatitis, a common infection in infants, which begins with reddening of the mucosa and swollen gums.
The reason is banal dirt, which got into the baby’s mouth with an unwashed nipple, a rattle, a rodent, or even through kisses of parents. In addition, residues of milk in the mouth can also cause inflammation, which are an excellent medium for the growth of bacteria.
It is possible to save a child not only through a responsible attitude to the cleanliness of the nipples and toys, but also with the help of oral hygiene.
At what age should a child start brushing his teeth
The baby needs to start brushing his teeth from the moment when they begin to erupt. At first, it is better to perform manipulations without paste, carefully treating not only the first tooth, but also the gum itself. You can use a special soft children's brush or silicone pad, worn on the finger of the parent. The last device will serve not only as a brush, but also as a gum massager, which will ease the pain from teething.
To act in the cleaning process should be careful, since the gum near the cutting tooth is inflamed and sore, so babies can respond poorly to a hygienic procedure. But you can’t refuse it: during teething local immunity worsens, therefore, the risk of infection of enamel increases.
For more information about caring for the oral cavity of a newborn, see the video:
How to carry it out correctly?
- After each feeding we carry out hygiene procedures (gently and delicately) for the tongue, gums and the inner surface of the cheeks.
- We use ordinary boiled water and gauze.
- We wrap a sterile gauze, slightly moistened in warm boiled water, on the finger and gently wipe the areas of the oral cavity noted above.
- When the baby grows up (after the 1st month of life) it will be possible to use decoctions / infusions of herbs instead of boiled water that will protect against inflammation and soothe the gums.
What is usually used to clean the oral cavity and tongue of an infant?
- Sterile gauze (bandage) and boiled water.
- Silicone fingertip brush (after 3-4 months).
- Gauze and soda solution (an excellent tool for the prevention of dental diseases). For 200 ml of boiled water - 1 tsp of soda. With thrush with a swab dipped in this solution, it is recommended to treat the oral cavity for 5-10 days several times a day.
- A solution of chlorophyllipt.
- Vitamin B12.
- Dental wipes. They are used after the 2nd month of life. Xylitol, a component with antiseptic properties, as well as herbal extracts, are usually present in such wipes.
Using cotton wool for this procedure is not recommended. Firstly, it does not remove plaque in the mouth too well, and secondly, cotton fibers can remain in the baby’s mouth.
How to brush children teeth
There are several general rules for high-quality brushing, depending on the age of the baby:
- A child under one year old needs to brush his teeth using a special silicone pad that is fixed to the index finger or thumb of the parent.
- After a year, you can use a brush with silicone fibers and a special limiter, gradually switching to classic models.
- From three years old, an ordinary brush with soft villi is used. It is important that only two tooth crowns cover its surface, otherwise the hygienic procedure will not be effective enough.
The baby brush must be changed every 3-4 months. If the service life has not yet expired, but the brush has already become rough along the edges, you should change it, since pathogenic bacteria can begin to form and multiply between the villi.
Decoctions and infusions of herbs can be used to wet a gauze swab when cleaning the oral cavity from the 2nd month of a baby's life:
- Sage: anti-inflammatory and bactericidal properties. Destroys harmful bacteria and soothes gums.
- Chamomile: anti-inflammatory properties. It is well tolerated by infants.
- St. John's wort : favorably affects the condition of the gums, contains useful vitamins and mineral salts.
- Calendula: Another powerful natural antiseptic.
It is not recommended to use decoctions more than 2 times a week, so as not to upset the balance of microflora in the baby's mouth.
How to brush your teeth for a child under 1 year old
Six months is the age when parents should start brushing their child's teeth daily. From 6 to 12 months, the teeth are cut in children, so during this period it is necessary to sanitize their oral cavity very carefully. The baby cannot take part in the hygiene procedure yet, but she can already express her dissatisfaction with sounds and gestures, so an adult should focus not only on the technique of dental cleaning, but also on the sensations of the baby.
Brushing milk teeth - how to brush your child’s teeth: instructions
To teach children how to brush their teeth properly, there are 3 steps:
- Up to 1 year:symbolic procedures aimed at instilling the right habit.
- From 1 year to 3 years : working out the correct movements when brushing your teeth.
- From 3 years: development of self-thorough thorough cleaning skills.
How to clean the first teeth
Key cleaning rules:
- the necessary movements should be sweeping: from the root to the apex,
- a finger with a silicone nozzle should be in the child’s mouth at an angle of 45 degrees to the gums,
- when processing chewing surfaces, the finger with the nozzle is located horizontally and cleans the crown with translational longitudinal movements,
- the inner tooth surface is cleaned with short, quick movements,
- lateral teeth can be cleaned in a circular motion.
For each tooth should be about 10-15 movements. During the procedure, it is necessary to clean not only the dental enamel, but also the inner surface of the cheeks, tongue and gums. You can also brush your teeth to a one-year-old child using special dental or dental wipes, which can be purchased at a pharmacy.
Instructions for brushing a child’s teeth - how to brush milk teeth?
First of all, we are talking, of course, about the traditional (standard) method of brushing your teeth:
- We hold the toothbrush at an angle of 45 degrees relative to the surface of the teeth, without closing the jaws.
- From left to right, we “sweep” the outer surface of the upper row with a brush. It is important to carry out these movements from above (from the gums) and down (to the edge of the tooth).
- Repeat the procedure for the back of the upper row of teeth.
- Next, repeat both “exercises” for the bottom row.
- Well, now with the movements “back and forth” we clean the chewing surface of the upper and lower rows.
- Количество движений для каждой стороны – 10-15.
- Заканчиваем процедуру чистки массажем десен. А именно – смыкаем челюсти и аккуратными круговыми движениями массируем внешнюю поверхность зубов вместе с деснами.
- It remains only to clean the tongue with the back of the brush head (as a rule, each brush has a special relief surface for such purposes).
Why you need to teach your child to brush his teeth earlier than one year
It is necessary to begin to clean the baby’s milk teeth when the first incisor appears or before its complete teething. Full oral care will help:
- to form the correct bite,
- good to clean the oral cavity of cariogenic bacteria,
- prevent various diseases, including caries.
Do not forget about the important rules for brushing your teeth (especially since they do not differ much from the rules for adults):
- Brush your teeth twice a day - without breaks for the weekend and vacation.
- The time of one procedure is 2-3 minutes.
- Kids clean their teeth only under the supervision of their parents.
- The length of the strip of extruded paste for crumbs up to 5 years is 0.5 cm (approx. - with a pea).
- After brushing, rinse your teeth with warm water.
- Given the sensitivity of children's teeth, do not brush them too actively and aggressively, with pressure.
- If the baby cleans the teeth itself, then the mother re-cleans his teeth after the procedure (double cleaning).
At the age of 5-7 years, the formation of permanent teeth and the gradual resorption of roots from deciduous teeth begin.
It is important to note that milk teeth will fall out in the same order in which they erupted. You can speed up this process with the help of apples and carrots - by gnawing fruits, we increase the load on the teeth.
Of course, the process can be delayed. And finally the change of teeth will end only by the age of 16 (wisdom teeth are an exception, they will “grow out” only by 20-25 years). During this period of tooth change, choose brushes with soft bristles.
Therefore, we read the instructions - and remember the important secrets of experienced parents, how to teach kids to brush their teeth
- Personal example. There is nothing better about parenting than the example of mom and dad. You can brush your teeth with the whole family - it's fun and useful.
- No aggression, screaming or other “educational” aggressive methods. The child needs to be carried away by brushing your teeth. Turning a procedure into penal servitude is not pedagogical. But what to captivate and how - it already depends on the parental ingenuity (but you can use our recommendations). In addition, do not forget to praise your child and reward for zeal for the procedure. Why can not yell at children?
- Sequencing. If you started to accustom your child to brushing your teeth - do not stop. No rewards in the form of “okay, today you can’t clean!” Hygiene procedures should be mandatory, no matter what.
- We buy a toothbrush for a child with him. Give him a choice of those brush options that you trust - let the child independently determine the design. The more he likes the brush, the more interesting he will use it. Remember that giving the child the right to choose is half the success for parents! But the choice should not be “to clean or not to clean”, but to “which brush to choose - you decide, son.”
- Toy brush. Perfect option. Manufacturers do not get tired of competing in the originality of children's toothbrushes. With what “chips” modern tools for brushing your teeth do not come out today - with vivid images of your favorite cartoon heroes, and with toy pens, and with flashlights, and suction cups, and so on. Show the child everything and take those on which his gaze will fall. It’s better to take 2-3 brushes right away: the choice is always actionable.
- Toothpaste. Naturally, safe and quality, but above all - delicious. For example, a banana. Or chewing gum. Take 2 at once - let the child have the opportunity to choose.
- Cartoons, programs and films about tooth fairies and teeth very stimulate imagination and encourage brushing and the formation of the right habits.
- Do not forget about the toys! If the child has a favorite toy, take it with you to the bathroom. In the end, if you brush your teeth - then all at once. A child who takes on the role of a teacher (and the doll will definitely have to be taught to brush his teeth) immediately becomes more independent and responsible. Usually, children’s favorite toys are plush, so buy a toothy but attractive toy in advance for such purposes that you can easily wash, clean and do other things.
- Come up with a tooth fairy (like Santa Claus). Wait for a change of milk teeth for a long time, so let her arrive today (for example, once a week) and please the baby with surprises (under the pillow, of course).
- If the child has sisters or brothers, feel free to use the “competition” option. They always spur kids to heroic deeds. For example, "who is better to brush your teeth." Or who can stand 3 minutes of brushing your teeth. Well, etc.
- Buy a beginner dentist kit (toy). Let the child train on his toy beasts, playing in the "hospital". Tie his "bad teeth" toys with a bandage - let them sit in line to the young luminary of medicine.
- Hourglass. Choose the most original and beautiful, on the suction cup - for the bath. The optimal amount of sand is for 2-3 minutes brushing your teeth. Put this watch on the sink so that the baby knows exactly when to finish the procedure.
- We make a glass for Lego brushes and pastes. Why not? Brushing your teeth will be much more fun if the brush is in a bright glass, which the child independently assembled from the designer.
- We record the success of the child on a special board of "achievements" . Bright stickers from mom for brushing your teeth will be a good incentive for the baby.
And be sure to visit the dentist! As soon as the peanut turns 2-3 years old - start such a good habit. Then the baby will not be afraid of doctors, and will monitor the teeth more closely.
Because when my mother asks, it’s possible to make fun of it, but the uncle-dentist is already an authoritative person, you can listen to him.
If the baby refuses to brush his teeth
It is rare when a child immediately perceives his teeth with a bang! A child can resist a toothbrush because it perceives it as a foreign object (if we are talking about early dental care), or because brushing causes or once caused him discomfort (for example, during active teething). In any case, parents should not give up.
- Even if the baby refuses, continue trying to involve him in a hygienic procedure, but do not insist strongly. It’s enough just every day to invite the child to brush his teeth,
- Try different means: brushes, fingertips, different pastes. Perhaps the reason lies precisely in the rejection of any particular means,
- Turn your dental care into a game. Toys, poems, songs set up the baby in the right way.
A real video as a child at 1 year 9 months, mother cleans her teeth (watch everyone. Pay attention to the reaction of the child):
When baby teeth change
Change of milk teeth begins at the age of 5-7 years. When permanent teeth begin to form, the roots of the milk begin to dissolve. At the same time, the teeth become loose and gradually fall out. Milk teeth fall out in the same order as they erupt. To speed up the process of loss of milk teeth, you can give your child a bite of fresh vegetables and fruits - this increases the chewing load.
Change of teeth is a long process. It can stretch for 7-9 years. Finally, all permanent teeth erupt by the age of 14-16, and "wisdom teeth" can appear only in 20-25 years.
When does a child have baby teeth?
The first baby teeth appear at the age of six months. Most often these are the lower central incisors. But this term is not accurate. It happens that a child is already born with erupted teeth, and it happens that the first milk teeth erupt only by the year. Such temporary shifts are not a pathology, but a feature of the development of the organism of a particular baby.
An alarm should only be caused by a longer delay. The absence of the first teeth after a year is an occasion for a dentist consultation.
Milk teeth in a newborn appear as follows:
|Teeth name||Estimated period after birth.|
|Lower central incisors||6-10 months.|
|Upper central incisors||8-12 months.|
|Upper side incisors||9-13 months.|
|Lower side incisors||10-16 months.|
|Upper fangs||16-22 months.|
|Lower fangs||17-23 months.|
|Lower molars||23-31 month.|
|Upper molars||25-33 months.|
In total, the child has 20 milk teeth, five on the left and right side of the upper and lower jaw.
Some useful tips
- So that the toothbrush itself does not become a breeding ground for infection, it needs to be treated every week, rinsing well with hot water. You need to change the brush every 2-3 months, and if the child is sick, it is better to replace the brush to prevent re-infection.
- Children's toothpaste should not contain fluoride. Since the children still do not know how to rinse their mouths, they swallow the pasta. Fluorine, entering the body through the digestive tract, tends to accumulate in the body, and this element is very toxic.
- Visit your dentist regularly, even if your child is not worried. A routine inspection allows you to identify problems in the very initial stage and eliminate them in time.
When should children start brushing their first teeth?
Many mothers have been asking this question since the first baby teeth appeared in the baby. Do I need to clean them immediately, how to do this, what to use for cleaning? On the network you can find various answers to these questions, but they all come down to one thing:
|You need to start cleaning the baby’s milk teeth immediately after the first ones appear.|
Milk teeth are not a temporary formation. This is an important element in the full development of the baby. They are responsible for such aspects of development:
- the formation of the correct bite,
- jaw development
- full functioning of the digestive tract,
- the formation of a beautiful visual image of the baby.
If you don’t pay enough attention to milk teeth, you can allow the development of many problems. Some of them will appear immediately, some - as they grow older. And often parents do not suspect that the reason for their development is insufficient care for milk teeth.
How to brush a child's teeth up to a year?
The first teeth that erupted in a child are very easy to clean. Mom or dad carefully wash their hands, wrap a piece of wet gauze on their fingers and wipe their surface with stroking movements. Repeat this procedure after each meal. This will remove microorganisms that accumulate on enamel and prevent the development of caries.
Instead of gauze, you can use silicone nozzles on the finger. They are sold in every pharmacy. Functionally, they are similar to gauze. The only thing is that gauze needs to be changed every time, and the nozzle should be washed and dried well enough.
This type of brushing is relevant until the moment when the baby understands the essence of a conventional toothbrush and begins to show interest in it. Then it can be transferred to full oral hygiene tools.
School of Health
Topic: How to teach a child to brush his teeth?
Proper care for baby teeth is a guarantee of healthy permanent teeth, so you need to pay attention to this issue literally from the cradle. The health of the child is very dependent on the parents, and in their power not only to keep the teeth healthy, but also to instill in the child a good habit: carefully monitor the teeth and observe oral hygiene.
Features of choosing a toothbrush for the baby
Starting from the year a baby can be accustomed to a toothbrush. For the smallest, there are special brushes made on the principle of a dummy. Only instead of a nipple, they have a soft silicone head with bristles of the same silicone that children like to chew.
This process allows you to clean the teeth well, and the edge of the dummy brush does not injure the oral cavity.
A dummy brush is given to the child after eating for five minutes, and after use, they are thoroughly washed and dried.
A kid should be accustomed to a traditional toothbrush from 12-15 months, initially combining it with a dummy brush. He must get used to it, so initially the acquaintance should be in the form of a game.
Let the child play with his first brush, examine it, try to brush its teeth. The dating process may take several weeks. Initially, one of the parents should brush the baby's teeth. This is both a safety issue and a cleaning quality issue. Up to three years, it is difficult for a child to cope with a toothbrush, and even if he tries to clean his teeth independently, it will not work out qualitatively.
The first glimpses of the right movements when brushing your teeth appear closer to three years: someone faster, someone later. Until this time, parents should control the process and the quality of cleaning depends on this control.
An equally important factor for high-quality cleaning of milk teeth is the right choice of a toothbrush. This is not an easy procedure and many adults are mistaken when choosing it according to the appearance that the child liked. Yes, this is important, the baby should like the toothbrush, but the main criteria are different:
- soft bristles
- small head size
- lack of sharp edges
- handle that does not slip in the hand.
The complex of these characteristics makes the brush safe, which is the main factor for children.
The size of the toothbrush depends on age. You can focus on the following parameters:
|Age||Toothbrush Head Length||Toothbrush Handle Length|
|1-2 years||Up to 1.5 centimeters||10 centimeters|
|2-5 years old||1.5-2 centimeters||up to 15 centimeters|
Important when choosing a children's toothbrush and its manufacturer. If the influence of this factor decreases with age, then for kids it is one of the main ones. A well-known manufacturer is likely to use high-quality and safe materials in production, and products are created with the support of specialists and tested at the required level. Advising something in the matter of choosing a manufacturer will be incorrect, but still here are a few brands that are considered the best in this segment:
Good doctor Dentist cartoon children about teeth
Lessons from Ping and Kroki: how to teach a child to brush his teeth:
Learning Together - Why Brush Your Teeth - Hello Kitty Cartoon:
Hello girls! Today I will tell you how I managed to get in shape, lose weight by 20 kilograms, and finally get rid of creepy complexes of overweight people. I hope you find the information useful!
Do you want to be the first to read our materials? Subscribe to our telegram channel
How to brush teeth for children over one year old
For a child older than 1 year, you can purchase the first toothbrush with silicone villi. It costs more than usual, but such a waste of money is justified: a brush with a silicone pile will not injure the child’s teeth and will help to clean the gums and cheeks. With it, you can even clean the first teeth of a child. However, such brushes quickly become unsuitable for safe operation, so you should not use them for a long time.
Rules for the care of children's toothbrushes with silicone bristles
In order for the silicone brush to last longer, the following rules for its operation must be observed:
- you can’t boil and even just brush over the brush with boiling water,
- after each use, wash it with soap (baby, tar, household).
Do not put the brush in the case, you should store it in a closed cabinet, in a glass, separately from the brushes of adult family members.
Toothpastes for one year old babies and babies
To start brushing children's teeth with paste, it is not necessary to wait until the child is one or three years old. Most pastes are indicated for children over 2 years old, however, there are a number of manufacturers whose product line contains good fluoride-free toothpastes suitable for children under one year old. They are completely harmless and can be swallowed. Such products can be found among brand products:
Each paste indicates at what age it is approved for use - you need to brush your child’s teeth only with a product that is not contraindicated for him and suitable for comprehensive care of children's teeth.
Starting to brush the teeth of a child up to one year old with the use of paste, it is necessary to monitor its reaction. Some babies may have an allergy, so with the first symptoms of a rash or an incomprehensible cough, you should stop using the paste and show the baby to the doctor.
Teeth brushing technique with paste
You can start brushing your teeth with toothpaste when the child has the first incisor, the deadline is a year and a half. You should not wait when he develops caries due to lack of proper care.
Toothpaste brushing procedure:
- a pre-moistened brush is applied a certain amount of paste,
- the brush at a right angle is brought to the crowns,
- it is necessary to clean the tooth surface with sweeping movements: from the roots to the tops,
- the internal dental surface is cleaned with short movements, the brush is placed at an angle of 45 degrees,
- the cutting and chewing surfaces of the crowns are processed at the very end,
- after the procedure, rinse your mouth with water,
- the approximate duration of each cleaning is 2-3 minutes.
2-3 years old is the age when you need to start accustoming a child to brush his teeth on his own.
How to teach a child to brush their teeth
Многие детки младше 1 года, а иногда и малыши постарше, не хотят чистить зубы, всячески выражая свое недовольство. В этом случае надо привлечь их внимание к гигиенической процедуре с помощью одного из таких методов:
- купить яркую щетку с любимым мультяшным героем и зубную пасту с приятным фруктовым вкусом,
- предложить малышу почистить зубы его игрушкам,
- brush your teeth with your child and compete with him in quality and speed of brushing.
Each parent independently decides at what age to start brushing the child’s teeth and whether to use a paste, but delay can adversely affect the health of the crumbs. Parents should not only brush their children’s teeth, but also teach them how to properly care for their oral cavity.
In more detail about children's teeth, caring for them and teaching a child to brush, Dr. Komarovsky tells in a video:
Baby Toothbrush Care
Toothbrush is the most intimate hygiene item. Therefore, it requires careful care. Children's toothbrushes are especially affected. In this matter, you need to follow simple rules:
- the baby brush must be washed with soap before and after cleaning. You must be responsible for this procedure.
- after the toothbrush is washed, it needs to be dried,
- the toothbrush should be stored in a cup, bristle up. It’s unacceptable to touch the brushes of other family members,
- no need to use cases. Humid environment - ideal for the development of harmful microorganisms,
- a child’s toothbrush needs to be replaced every three months, even if its bristles have not changed.
These rules apply to both children and adult toothbrushes. And they must be adhered to by all members of the family.
About brushing your teeth with toothpaste
The question of the use of toothpaste in brushing children causes a lot of discussion. And the answer to it is not so clear as in the question of the need for care for milk teeth.
But dentists agree that during the first months after teething, you do not need to use paste to clean. Until about a year and a half, the baby needs to brush only with a brush.
This decision is justified by the fact that it is difficult for a one-year-old child to understand the mechanics of brushing and rinsing his teeth, and after a year and a half he needs to learn a little of this.
It is at this age that the first children's toothpaste is bought. Pasta for the little ones is special. It should be safe to swallow, as the smallest children are not yet able to fully control the cleaning process. For safety, children's toothpaste should not contain:
In order not to study each tube, we recommend choosing toothpaste from well-known manufacturers in accordance with the age gradation on the package. Pastes intended for children under three years of age are safe to swallow.
From the age of three, it is necessary to switch to fluoride-containing toothpastes, which are more effective for the prevention and control of caries, but at the same time require a well-developed cleaning mechanism. Ingesting a small amount of such a paste will not do any harm. But if the baby has not yet learned how to clean his teeth and swallows everything in his mouth, fluoride pastes are too early for him to use.