There are 2 main ways to swim underwater. The first is swimming breaststroke.
The second way is swimming with a “little mermaid” or “dolphin”. This method is more energy-consuming, but also more beautiful. Another advantage: if you master the swimming "dolphin", then it is easier to learn how to swim butterfly stroke.
Conclusion and recommendation: master both ways of swimming under water to get the benefits of both.
First of all, safety!
Diving under water is always a danger. So think 100 times before diving: do you really need this? What for?
If you are determined to dive, read these tips.
• I strongly do not advise an inexperienced diver to dive more than 2 to 3 meters under water. You will definitely need time, strength, air to go back. And inexperience, all this can not be calculated. It is enough to cough, swallow water - and the dive can end sadly. Therefore do not take chances. You are welcome.
• I do not advise even an advanced diver to dive deeper than 5 meters. Deeper begins to seriously press on the eyes, on the ears and it is necessary to “purge”. Presses eyes - glasses are bad. If you dive with a mask, you must definitely do a purge. What it is? Exhale a small amount of air under the mask with your nose to compensate for the water pressure. When pressing on the ears, you need to pinch your nose and make such a movement as if you were blowing your nose. Immediately, the pressure becomes normal. For all the manipulations you will take a certain amount of air. And the remainder should be calculated so that it is enough to rise. An inexperienced swimmer is often unable to allocate resources.
How to dive and swim under water breaststroke
You take a breath first. Gently submerge under water. Gently push off. After that, you begin to swim, making long strokes and touching your feet with your hands, after which you make a push with your feet.
Do all the movements slowly, without rushing. This is the only way you can save air in your lungs and swim longer while admiring the underwater beauties or simply covering the distance under water.
Diving under the water in the style of "dolphin" / "mermaid"
As I said, this is a more energy-intensive diving. The first and main mistake that all people make when wanting to learn this style is the movement of the whole body while swimming. As a result, a person wriggles in the water with a worm, but there is no progress, especially beauty.
To get both beautiful and technical, do the following exercise:
• grab the edge of the side, lie on the water,
• work only with the ankles alone - the rest of the body to the knees should remain motionless!
Important! Do not bend your knees while doing exercise! With strong bending, you will push yourself back - there will be no progress.
When your body remembers the movement in the exercise, try it in swimming. Having pushed off an arrow, swim on a surface, working only ankles. At this time, do not try to think about beauty - work on the technique. Swim smoothly; do not lift your heels / feet high above the surface of the water.
It is best to practice this exercise in flippers. Flippers will help you feel how to properly push off from the water. Your socks should be sure to club up a bit, look inward, and your fingertips as if tossing an imaginary ball.
So swim on the surface to the feeling that you are already confidently "hold the body" and work with your feet. Then you can proceed to diving under water.
How to swim and adjust your body position underwater
You should set your own direction under water with your hands - as if by the side members of an airplane. If you press your chin to your chest and point your hands down, you will set yourself a deepening trajectory. Hit with your legs and you will “push” yourself in the given direction.
A little practice will allow you to feel with your body how the direction is regulated. In this case, do not get carried away and do not forget about the breaths every 3 - 5 meters! And in no case do not immediately dive into the depths. Let the first time there be a column of water above you no more than 1 meter.
Starting position: stand waist-deep in water. We inhale with your mouth and gently squat with your head under the water, immediately starting to exhale with your nose and mouth.
An important point: exhalation through the nose must begin even before the face is immersed in water!
Count up to three under water and begin to rise gently. As you rise to the surface, continue to exhale with your nose. So you protect your nose from water.
First, do the exercise slowly, and then on the jumps. Once you master it, move on to the next.
Why can’t you learn to jump into the water from the side and bedside tables?
If you still don’t know how to dive, then don’t learn to immediately jump from the side or bedside tables, because you can roll onto your back, fall onto the water with your stomach, chest, hitting the internal organs, and it happens - and hurt. Another option is to “stick” your head into the bottom of the pool.
To avoid this, learn to first jump in the water, standing in it waist-high.
Starting position: arms stretched forward, lie on the water. Inhale, lower your face into the water, immediately making a slight exhale with your nose and mouth. As soon as you lay down with your chest and face on the water, pull the second leg to the side and - push off with two legs.
Your whole body at the moment of sliding in the water should be located as horizontally as possible: the head between the hands, and the face looks strictly down, in no case forward!
If there is no side behind you, then you need to push off your feet from the bottom, and the entire sequence of movements is the same as in the pool.
Mini jump in water
Once the "Strelochka" mastered, proceed to a mini jump into the water.
Starting position: standing waist-deep in water, keep your arms outstretched above the water. Next - inhale with your mouth, take a small jump up and, as soon as the body goes under water, quickly pull your legs to the side and push off from it.
Important! When you immerse your face in water, be sure to exhale with your nose, and press your chin to your chest.
Jumping from the edge of the pool from a sitting position
Stand on the edge of the pool, catch your toes on the edge of the pool, sit down. After that, stretch your arms forward and mentally outline a point in the water (between the arms). Remember her.
After that, take a breath, tilt your head and press your chin to your chest, do a push with your feet.
First, fingers should go into the water - exactly at the point that you have outlined. Next, the head should go, not the chest or stomach. This is a very important point, which is why it is so necessary to keep the chin pressed to the chest during a kick and subsequent slip. In no case do not look forward at the water and do not forget about the sub-breath with your nose!
The push with your feet must be strong, otherwise you will simply fall onto the water with your stomach and chest.
Jumping from the edge of the pool and from the nightstand from the classic position
As soon as the jump from the sitting position began to turn out confidently for you, slowly rise on your feet and jump from bent legs, straightening them more and more. Gradually, you will come to the position that is considered optimal when jumping into the water:
The arms are straightened and laid back at an angle of about 45 ° relative to the back or the arms are straightened and lowered down, they hold on to the edge of the side,
The legs are bent - to calculate this position, lower your hands down and fix the position of the legs as soon as the fingers touch the side.
At the moment of the kick, you need to sharply throw your hands forward, and place the head between the hands, bending it to the chest.
When the jump from the side worked out well, go to the jump from the nightstand. The principles of jumping from it are the same as from the side. Just don’t try to jump as beautifully as possible right away - learn to jump technically and beauty will come!
The main thing is to enter the water tangentially, creating as little resistance as possible in the water. Therefore, it is so important to keep the body extended in the arrow, and the head between the arms, with the face down and the chin pressed to the chest.
Take care of yourself! How to dive into the water.
The Internet is full of tips on how to learn how to dive into the water. Often you can read this: "Jump into the water with a run!"
To put it mildly, these people are not very versed in diving and they do not care about your health. If you run along the side and jump from the run, you can jump successfully 100 times, and on the 101st slip and hit your head on the edge of the pool. The consequences may be the saddest.
Never jump into the water if you do not see, do not know the bottom! According to statistics, about 10,000 people every year in Russia become disabled, jumping in an unfamiliar place and banging their head on invisible objects. It is especially dangerous to dive in reservoirs over time: in a few hours the topography changes, the water can drag driftwood, stones, construction debris and it will be dangerous today where you dived yesterday.
Enjoy the right diving and jumping water. And how to dive under the water with a "little mermaid" or a "dolphin", I will tell you in my butterfly training course. And on this, while I say goodbye, see you later, and - be healthy!
A simple jump forward
We stand on the edge of the pool edge, bring the feet together, grasp the edge of the side with the toes. Stretch your arms forward, then tilt the body, bend your legs a little, push off board, and smoothly enter the water.
Put your arms forward so that your head runs parallel to your arms. Place your hands so that they are directed forward, and not go beyond the line of projection of the head and neck.
Diving c thumbs
It is used to start in the pool with a pedestal for subsequent swimming with sports styles. This is an option used by professional swimmers.:
- Put the supporting leg forward, fixing the position with your fingertips.
- We move the second leg back and put on the end of the curbstone.
- We tilt the body and grab the hand with our hands.
- We move the body back a little, as if to disperse it, and push forward with the standing leg, immediately putting the hind leg to it.
- After you wave your hands, they should be in front of you and, before you plunge your head, your hands must cut through the water.
Step by step, this technique is shown here:
When flying, the body should be even, it does not need to enter the water deeper than 110 cm.
Schematically, this option is also shown in this illustration: Jump from the pedestal
This option is used when you are already in the water and can push off from something, a classic example is from a wall in a pool.
To do this, draw air into the lungs and group so that the knees are bent. Being in a horizontal position kick strongly against the pool wall, hands at this time put forward, as shown in the picture:
At the moment of the push, you need to dive under the water and then slide under the water, it is possible to work with your feet. Usually, butterfly stroke is used, but it is possible to use both crawl and breaststroke.
How to learn?
First of all, you need to decide which of the above methods suits you and begin to practice them. The more practice you have, the sooner and better you will learn.
In addition, we highly recommend watching this video - it shows a step-by-step training process:
It is also recommended that you familiarize yourself with these materials:
How to learn to jump into the water from a great height
Jump from a great height only if you have already perfectly mastered jumping from a small height.
Even when jumping upside down, be aware of safety precautions. A hit on water when jumping from 5 meters and a hit on water from 10 meters are completely different things. A blow to the water when jumping from 15 meters can be fatal.
- The depth of the landing site should be at least 5 meters
- The surface of the water should be smooth. Even a passing newspaper or a sheet of paper can make your blow heavier and become a cement slab.
- Do not jump if you are very worried. There should be enough oxygen in your blood, so take a few deep breaths before the jump and calm your heartbeat.
- During the flight, spread legs and arms to the side, you must enter exactly like a soldier.
- Stretch your legs like ballerinas, the first water should touch your fingers.
Remember once again that safety comes first. In addition to diving, there are many more interesting ways to spend the summer and don’t forget that close people are waiting for you at home.
Oh yes. Of course, it is unlikely that anyone will hear this advice, but do not dive into the water while drunk. Naturally, the drunken sea is hot, but try to maintain sound thinking and jump into the water only in a sober state.
In order to dive head down, you need to group the body, gain enough air, lower your head into the water and to start moving towards the bottom should connect legs.
It looks like this:
Then you can push your feet with a breaststroke, you can crawl or butterfly - depending on what technique you own.
For more effect and faster progress. you can connect your hands in the style of breaststroke. When diving, you again need to group the body, and using the style of the breaststroke to swim to the surface.
In another way, this option is called a "soldier."
We take a vertical position, we gain air into the lungs. Further, using hand movements, starting from the pelvis and continuing bottom-up strokeplunge into the depths.
We get out with the help of fast movements of arms and legs with the breaststroke style.
With the help of fast and rhythmic work of the legs with the crawl style, at the moment when one arm is in front of the extended one, we make a sharp stroke with the other hand and enter the water in a horizontal position.
The legs work as a crawl, and with your hands you control: either plunge below, or emerge from the water.
What to do if glasses fly off?
In general, sports swimming is swimming in glasses:
- Firstly, this is explained by the fact that water in the pool is disinfected with bleach or other non-chlorine-containing preparations, which can cause eye irritation.
In open reservoirs it is not recommended to swim with open eyes. water can contain a considerable amount of bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites, which can cause infectious diseases of the eyes.
However, the problem immediately arises here: if you make a jump from a support, then when you enter the water, glasses fly off your head from a blow. In the pool, this disrupts further swimming, and in the open water it threatens with their loss.
This problem cannot be completely eliminated, but can do the following:
- Wear glasses under the swimming cap. At least they’re definitely not going anywhere from their heads, this will greatly enhance their “perseverance” in front of their eyes during the jump.
- Tighten the rubber bands to the maximum from glasses. But keep in mind that this option is only suitable for jumping, but will not work for a long swim - the glasses will put pressure on the face.
- Try the glasses - "glass" (without silicone sealant). According to reviews, they fly off less (although for normal swimming they can let in more water - but this is strictly individual and depends on the model).
Tips & Precautions
Safety is very important when diving. Be sure to familiarize yourself with these recommendations before proceeding with the active steps:
- Having decided to learn how to hold your breath under water for a long time, you must be able to stay on the water (read about learning this skill and swimming in general here), conduct regular training and most importantly, remember - you need to start small.
In no case do not exhaust yourself sitting without air under water, panting to withstand the treasured seconds or minutes. This issue should be approached gradually.
What to do if legs are flattened
It’s also important to know that in cool water cramp can reduce muscles. This fate befalls any part of the body, but often it happens with the legs.
In this case, do not panic, but you need to take the following measures:
- Stop and maximize the place of cramp.
- Keep a convulsive place in the water.
- If you can land on your own, then you should do it immediately and rub the sore spot there.
- If rubbing does not help, then a pointed object, any improvised tools with a sharp end will help you. The tip (knife, scissors, nail, earrings, etc.) should be applied lightly tingling on the affected area.
- The needle best helps with a seizure reaction.
- Do not go back into the water until you are completely warm and convinced that the reaction will not be repeated.